Show us your tomatoes!!!!

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
farmerlor said:
Broke Down Ranch said:
These are the types I hope to try next year. May not manage to get ALL of them but with a few trades I have going on right now, I think I should be able to manage 70% of them. If you have tried any of these, could you please give me your opinion of the flavor/texture. I want to be sure and stay away from mealiness (blach!):

Black Krim

Mr Stripey

Cherokee Purple

Cherokee Choclate

Cherry Brandywine (never even heard of this but if it's like the biggies - YUM!)

Cuostralee

German Johnson

Kellogg's Breakfast

Mortgage Lifter Estler's

Southern Night

Dr Wyche's Yellow

Amish Gold

Manyel

Basinga

Red Fig
Let's see.....the Black Krim is a wonderful tasting tomato but it will go from firm to soft in about a minute if you leave too long on the vine.
Mr Stripey is a very nice tasting, FIRM tomato. There are better tasting tomatoes but this one has a nice tomato-ey taste.
Cherokee Purple is a good one-I think I like the Black Krim better.
German Johnson-EXCELLENT slicer. Big, bold taste.
Kellogg's Breakfast-my favorite slicer hands down. This one will always have a place in my garden but again, this one will go from firm to soft in a heartbeat if you leave it too long and that happens often if you don't know that they're ripe when they're golden yellow with just a little green left on the shoulders.
Mortgage Lifter-A really nice slicer with an old fashioned tomato taste.
Amish Gold-Another all time fave.
I just hope my mouth doesn't freak out on the KB since it supposedly looks like orange juice on the inside. I have never tried the "black" tomatoes so next year will be a fun experiment. Watch, I have spent all these hours drooling over all these different types of tomatoes - I'll grow some next year and hate them.....lol

Do you have any Amish Gold seeds? I really want to try them but the only place I can find them requires $15 order then pay shipping on top of that.....
I'm sorry, I do not have Amish Gold seeds at this time. We did not grow them this year and my seeds from last year seem to have gone missing. If you're talking about Gary's seeds at Tomatofest though, that's where I get most of my seeds. I guarantee you that it will be worth the 15 dollar order to get some of his favorites.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, I know you're right. I will just have to bite the bullet and order some seeds.....lol. I guess I can always order the ones I'm NOT getting in my trades so I can try them some other time....so many tomatoes, so little time. :barnie

jen4

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Heres some of our tomatoes...
100_5131.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ooooh, aren't those pretty, Jen! Tomatoes and all . . .

I'm going to take a guess about the "middle of nowhere Colorado" Farmerlor. Since eastern Colorado had so much rain and cool weather this year, Farmerlor must live either on the eastern plains or in western Colorado, where the summer was more like up here in the interior of the PNW - fairly hot and normally dry.

And, guess #2: your Thessaloniki Oxhearts came from the WinterSown group. I've read that their seed for Thessaloniki is of the oxheart persuasion.

I really like Thessaloniki, also. It grows "round" from the seed I have and it's a very pretty heirloom. The most important thing is that it seems to like a hot, dry growing season. That usually isn't too hard to provide in my garden.

Steve

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Ooooh, aren't those pretty, Jen! Tomatoes and all . . .

I'm going to take a guess about the "middle of nowhere Colorado" Farmerlor. Since eastern Colorado had so much rain and cool weather this year, Farmerlor must live either on the eastern plains or in western Colorado, where the summer was more like up here in the interior of the PNW - fairly hot and normally dry.

And, guess #2: your Thessaloniki Oxhearts came from the WinterSown group. I've read that their seed for Thessaloniki is of the oxheart persuasion.

I really like Thessaloniki, also. It grows "round" from the seed I have and it's a very pretty heirloom. The most important thing is that it seems to like a hot, dry growing season. That usually isn't too hard to provide in my garden.

Steve
We're on the eastern plains at 6800 feet. We had a cool, wetter than normal summer.
My Thessalonikis came from my tomato lovers email group seed savers. Most of my seeds come from there or from Gary Ibsen at Tomato fest.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We're on the eastern plains at 6800 feet.
Wow! So, more-or-less flat and 6,800 feet . . . ! You can probably throw a stone out of your garden and hit Wyoming :).

A tomato grower - and Kellogg's Breakfast is a possibility??

Maybe I should look into that heirloom . . . Eighty days to maturity often leaves me with a plant that has produced nothing but green tomatoes and the first frost on the horizon :rolleyes:.

Steve

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Wow! So, more-or-less flat and 6,800 feet . . . ! You can probably throw a stone out of your garden and hit Wyoming :).

Maybe I should look into that heirloom . . . Eighty days to maturity often leaves me with a plant that has produced nothing but green tomatoes and the first frost on the horizon :rolleyes:.

Steve
I just looked where you're from - I must say if you are in the mountains up there it has to be some of the most beautiful country ever (except for maybe B.C.). Wow, it would be a whole different set of rules gardening up there, huh?

I guess I just never think about how diverse we are in our growing conditions....

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
digitS' said:

Steve
No, I'm down on the Palmer divide. The Wyoming border would be a real wind-up from here.
I confess that I could not do ANY of the tomato growing that I do were it not for the super-O cool-O hoop house that most wondrous man made for me. It allows me to start my tomatoes earlier and not worry about that one last frost that hits just about mid-May or early June. It allows me to smile during the frequent hail storms and hurricane level winds that we get up here. And I extend my tomato growing season into October if I need to to make sure that every single tomato gets ripened and processed for use.
At this moment I have five more five gallon buckets of tomatoes sitting on my table needing to be processed and I love it.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
digitS' said:

Steve
No, I'm down on the Palmer divide. The Wyoming border would be a real wind-up from here.
I confess that I could not do ANY of the tomato growing that I do were it not for the super-O cool-O hoop house that most wondrous man made for me. It allows me to start my tomatoes earlier and not worry about that one last frost that hits just about mid-May or early June. It allows me to smile during the frequent hail storms and hurricane level winds that we get up here. And I extend my tomato growing season into October if I need to to make sure that every single tomato gets ripened and processed for use.
At this moment I have five more five gallon buckets of tomatoes sitting on my table needing to be processed and I love it.
You wouldn't happen to have pics of said hoop-house, would you? :)

Latest posts