Six Month Old Chickens

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, they had an hour's drive to get home. I made sure I made turns very smoothly! They were 3 to a box. I think the fact that they were snuggled might have helped.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got 5 eggs today out of 6 hens! The last one was the tiniest. Thistle, how long before the eggs get to full size? So far they look about one third to half their size. It's been almost a year since I've had 5 eggs in one day. Hoping for the 6th one!

Mary

It seemed like just a few weeks for mine to get to large and extra large size.( but it may have been a little longer) I also had at least one double yolker a day for a few weeks, which I get ridiculously silly about. :p

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My first chickens were a collection of "heavies" from Murray Macmurray. Double yolks were common. I had two's thee's and four's and once a five. No one believed me! The geatestest fun. My current chickens lay average to small eggs so no fun doubles.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
My first chickens were a collection of "heavies" from Murray Macmurray. Double yolks were common. I had two's thee's and four's and once a five. No one believed me! The geatestest fun. My current chickens lay average to small eggs so no fun doubles.
Cat, are you talking about egg yolks? If so, i don't believe you either. :p

Mary

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
my barred rocks and Australorps have been laying for about a month now. i got the rocks around April 1st as chicks. the Australorps came 2 weeks later as chicks. so about 5 months is average for production breeds. i can tell the difference in color of the eggs from the newbies vs my older ladies, even the bantams.

i got 4 eggs tonight, if you count the 1 by the door this morning i got 5 today. yesterday i had 5 too. the rocks lay the darkest brown, the Australorps give me the next lightest brown, then it goes to my faverolles, then my 2 remaining bantam cochin girls give me creamy white eggs.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
My barred rock laid eggs the size of my wyndottes. Not very big.

Will the different egg colors stay or will they change when the eggs reach full size. I really like the variation and am hoping the stay that way. It will help make it up since I don't have ameracunas to brighten up the egg carton.

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My barred rock laid eggs the size of my wyndottes. Not very big.

Will the different egg colors stay or will they change when the eggs reach full size. I really like the variation and am hoping the stay that way. It will help make it up since I don't have ameracunas to brighten up the egg carton.

Mary
The egg colors of the very dark brown eggs change in time. The welsomers lay chocolate brown eggs the first year. The color is due to a dark coating on the egg. As they age the dark color subsides.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, are you talking about egg yolks? If so, i don't believe you either. :p

Mary
Well Mary, I do believe catjac ... I had lots and lots of different breeds of chickens first as growing up on my parent;s place, later on my own. I often had eggs as double yolkers, and once had a triple yolker ( half to 1/3 size yolks ) , as well as one as a 4 yolker ( one half size plus 3 pretty small yolks ) in a pullet egg. So yea, it happens !!!! :eek:

Latest posts