skunks

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to tell if one has skunks living on their property?

Skunks have been around and about the neighborhood (ESP the last coupla nights...man oh man...)

But how can I tell if they are living on MY property? If so I want to get rid of them fast!:eek:

Thanks!

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
hehee, yeah, but I live VERY close to my neighbors, so the skunks could be living at their place.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Look for the dens. They tend to burrow just like ground squirrels and will even take over coyote or squirrel dens. If you can't find any of those they might take up residence in wood piles or underneath buildings.

Be careful, besides the obvious spraying problem they may carry rabies!

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
Look for the dens. They tend to burrow just like ground squirrels and will even take over coyote or squirrel dens. If you can't find any of those they might take up residence in wood piles or underneath buildings.

Be careful, besides the obvious spraying problem they may carry rabies!
Thanks OCF. I don't see any on our property, but I'll grab my DH and we'll do a thorough check-up this weekend.

I really don't want to pay for a wild animal inspector /trapper person to come out if we have none on the property, you know?

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What OaklandCityFarmer said is very important, because they are one of the top carriers of rabies, at least in this state.

If you are wondering, put out some raw chicken; they'll be there. Better yet, get a live trap and put chicken in it. Make sure it's large enough for an adult skunk. You can buy one, or maybe someone will lend you one. Also, sometimes animal control will let you use one they have. Animal control helping should be free.

If you have chickens, make sure they are extra secure. And don't leave eggs around.

Good luck, and let's just hope they are just traveling by, but not at your place!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tutter said:
If you are wondering, put out some raw chicken; they'll be there. Better yet, get a live trap and put chicken in it. Make sure it's large enough for an adult skunk. You can buy one, or maybe someone will lend you one.
First you should think about whatcha gonna do if you CATCH a skunk. They are not necessarily pleased about being trapped and then swung around and put in a truck bed or car trunk or whatever, and while they *may* not spray (in which case they still have enough residual skunkiness that they will extensively stench up the inside of a vehicle), but OTOH they may. And so, you want to have a plan BEFORE discovering Pepe Le Pew in the livetrap and then saying Golly, Now What ;)

Sometimes they burrow down under, say, a log or whatever; but they also like to hang out in disused sheds, under brush piles, stacks of lumber, plywood leaning up against a fence, under the house in the crawlspace, that sort of thing. Basically, check your property for a) dug hidey-holes and b) occupation of sheds or piles of cr*p.

Good luck,

Pat, who's had to evict skunks trying to set up housekeeping in our old barn, and does not much enjoy it although I will say I have not been sprayed at *yet*

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Not planning on trapping any - just want to make sure if there here THEN I'll send in the experts.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Tutter said:
If you are wondering, put out some raw chicken; they'll be there. Better yet, get a live trap and put chicken in it. Make sure it's large enough for an adult skunk. You can buy one, or maybe someone will lend you one.
First you should think about whatcha gonna do if you CATCH a skunk. They are not necessarily pleased about being trapped and then swung around and put in a truck bed or car trunk or whatever, and while they *may* not spray (in which case they still have enough residual skunkiness that they will extensively stench up the inside of a vehicle), but OTOH they may. And so, you want to have a plan BEFORE discovering Pepe Le Pew in the livetrap and then saying Golly, Now What ;)

Sometimes they burrow down under, say, a log or whatever; but they also like to hang out in disused sheds, under brush piles, stacks of lumber, plywood leaning up against a fence, under the house in the crawlspace, that sort of thing. Basically, check your property for a) dug hidey-holes and b) occupation of sheds or piles of cr*p.

Good luck,

Pat, who's had to evict skunks trying to set up housekeeping in our old barn, and does not much enjoy it although I will say I have not been sprayed at *yet*
Yep, we've had to relocate skunks (and other critters, too.) before. We've use bamboo poles through the cage, and each hold an end to move the cage. It worked well. Better than the times the dogs have cornered them. :rolleyes:

sht4luck

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We have skunks living 20 ft from my front door. They use to spray the dogs untill i moved the dogs. We have also come withen 3-5ft to them at night, they just turn around and show us they back side. They have not sprayed us yet. The lady down the street had 25 of her chicks beheaded by one. The husband shot it in the head and got sprayed at the same time. It stunk for a 1/4 mile. I guess the guy now traps them in a wooden box with a small hole and a long rope. Then he pulls it over to his exaust pipe and starts it up. gruesome but effective. Skunks travel long distances. If you don't take them far enough they can find there way back. If you do have a skunk den you can also try to put four down at the entrance. Wait till just before dark sets in and if you see tracks leading out then try to block the entrance with something. Hopefully they will go somewhere else, off your property. I have't done anything to mine yet but i plan on it soon. I hear, calling in some is kind of spendy, i don't know though. Hopefully you don't have one. Good Luck!:D