Skyscraper sunflower

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
The big sunflower turned out not to be a Skyscraper. There are a couple of the sunflowers that are Skyscraper, but the one I have in the picture earlier that was growing so fast turned out to be Kong. I had Kong sunflowers in 2010. I did not think it was possible for a seed to last that long in the ground, but maybe with tilling we brought the seed up where it could sprout. I am going to take a better picture, but a couple of branches broke off yesterday, so I will use this picture that has the hollyhocks in front. I took this picture about a week ago. My husband measured it and thinks it is 12 feet tall. There is a Skyscraper right next to the Kong to the right. It almost looks like part of Kong.

9494_kong_1.jpg

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
desertlady said:
I want seeds like that ! where did you order seeds? All I ever find is mammoth and skyscrapers. :rainbow-sun
I bought them from Gurney in 2010, but I could not find them in 2011 or I did not try hard enough. I just found some on Amazon and it has a good picture of Kong and a description of it. I will try to save seed from it this year. It almost is too much for my garden. It is causing shade. It is like planting a tree in your row of eggplant, which is where it is at. :D

http://www.amazon.com/King-Kong-Sunflower-Seeds-TALLEST/dp/B000SAIFQS