Slender as a Thread

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' Different varieties of milk?? Tell me more! . . .

You know how using a couple of tablespoons of cream is plenty for a cup of coffee? I can put almost 1/3 cup of soy milk in the cup and still enjoy the drink. Much less and I can't taste it.

Almond milk is delicious. I wish it was a little more strongly flavored. Both soy and almond flavors go with coffee, IMO. Coconut milk is available. I've drank it but never with coffee. I wonder about coconut "cream." You can find it canned.

These things might be sweetened but surely not as much as what usually goes in coffee. Just making some changes may capture your interest and the desire for so much extra sweetness may fall away.

Steve

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll have to try that. I just read a story about almond milk. It said that many almond milks use very little almond (about 4 almonds per carton of almond milk!) and that they are required to state what percentage of the milk is almonds. You might try looking and searching for one with more almonds for more flavor. I am not certain if the story was US based or not, so it may not apply, but worth looking into.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I drink almond milk also. I love a smoothie every morning for breakfast or as an afternoon snack. I used to add raw unprocessed honey but since I'm trying to cut down on sugar, I've stopped adding it to it.

I just smash a banana with a fork on a small plate. Put into a glass and add 1 cup of almond milk and 2 heaping teaspoos of almond butter and stir well. The protein keeps me going for the morning.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband has a milk allergy and drinks almond milk. It's also really great for relieving heartburn.
Here's a recipe for making your own almond milk @AMKuska:
http://www.ohnuts.com/blog/how-to-make-almond-milk-recipe/

That's great, Thistle'! I could do that. I went on and looked at their store, too :). I'll have to be careful about nuts and weight, oh boy!

@Bluejay77 mentioned Rancho Gordo in California on the bean thread. You know, we have a couple of places around here. Should I be embarrassed to admit that I have never ordered from Purcell Mountain? My brother used to live in their home town.

We also have The Nut Factory. Your almond reference, and that outfit have more than nuts! Coffee beans! Dried fruit ... probably better be careful with that too but I tend to eat quite a bit of dried fruit in cereal during the winter.

Do you have online sources for food items? A new Trader Joe is coming but there still isn't a Whole Foods within hundreds of miles. Where would one find spelt flour??

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS, I don't know how often you make it into CDA, but there is a Natural Grocer (?) behind the Red Lobster on 95 and Neider.
I haven't been in yet but it looks pretty big. I should check it out next time I'm in town for groceries.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can get agave in little packets - like the sweetener packets - but they're full of a teaspoon of nectar instead. :)
(kinda make a sticky mess if you forget them on the counter in the morning..)

Latest posts