Slender as a Thread

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been a lifelong vegetarian and I'm very active, so I just kind of accepted my extra pounds as middle-aged spread. There really wasn't anything more to give up, or any extra time or energy to burn more calories.

Three years ago I was having terrible, debilitating knee and elbow pain and swelling. The ortho diagnosed it as bursitis and basically encouraged me to give up my active lifestyle and take pain pills. He didn't seem to understand I have a farm--I grow potatoes, I don't want to BE one.

Instead, my GP suggested it was gluten intolerance and she challenged me to six months of a gluten-free diet.

After three months, I could tell the difference. Not only did my joints stop swelling, they felt lubricated. I had the energy I once had 15 years ago, and I lost the 22lbs without even trying. I no longer have an ounce of fat. It has made a world of difference in my life, so I've stuck with it.

The main items I had to switch was bread, pasta, and baked goods. Udi's, DeBoles, Glutino brands all make good GF substitutions. Corn, millet, rice, quinoa, oats, teff, almond meal, coconut flour, chickpea flour, soy flour, potato flour, sorghum flour, and GF flour mixes are all my staples now. I don't miss wheat, barley, or rye at all.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, seems to me that you've always eaten lots of fruits and veggies. Did anything else change about your diet? Did you stop eating certain foods or changed the amount you eat?

Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, last Jan. my doctor had me see a diatitian as I had recently put on a lot of weight due to not being as active as I was working on my ranch. ... the diatition told me that I was eating too much meat and that I was to cut meats down to less than the size of the palm of my hand and no more than 1/4" thick, and that I had to eat 2-3 times more vegetables and fruits than I was eating. She gave me a shiny food chart that I was to stricktly follow. I did . Well 2 weeks later I see her again and I had put on 12 pounds. I junked that idea and became a carnivor ( MEAT CONSUMER ) again and took my vegies in the form of potato salad with a handfull of blueberries and/ or strawberries for desert before going to bed. I sometimes wash it all down with rum & coke, long island tea, mixed vodka drinks, or a glass of wine ,etc. I stop at beer as it is too filling and fatening. Fast forward to today ... I am 27 lbs. lighter. Some folks have different metabolisms ( I couldn't convince the diatition of this fact . You could litterally see steam comming out of her ears !) as some folks do better on fruits and vegetables, while some folks ( like me ) do much better on protein rich foods. :plbb

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
After I took over BobM's ranch for the year ... just kidding! Anyway, I find myself working my digitS to the bone every gardening season.

Remember that "garden extension" of 30+ feet by 200 feet? That came only 12 months after I downsized by giving up one 25' by 300' garden. Downsizing didn't downsize me ...

(Gardens of this size are a smidgen of work.)

Hunger isn't much of an issue with me. Ever ... During my busy season, I eat when I have time, x3/day. :)

Winter, I'm a light eater. I eat from the time the lights go on until I turn them off and get into bed. I spend half my day +, sitting down ... You see the contrast between one half year and the other?

;) Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've dropped one more pound.

Just one more to go and I will hit that summertime goal of 185#!

Bad weather may interfere and I've got no promises of getting there by the 23rd ... as long as this is taking me ...:rolleyes:

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congratulations Steve !!! :celebrate It seems that it gets harder and harder to loose the final pounds to reach a weight loss goal. :rant I lost another 5 lbs. ! :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did it!

Overshot the mark by 1# : 184.

I wonder what it was 2 weeks ago. I climbed on the scale and it was dead. (The ideas associated with scales are a little strange. Don't we all say we "climb" on them? ... Like they are more than 5 centimeters above the floor, right?)

Anyway, a battery had leaked. Tossed it and fired up my charger. Didn't help. Finally, bought new AAs, today. Still, I had to scrape the terminals - dang leaking alkaline! And, what is that stuff, anyway? Scares me ... washed hands and climbed on the scales.

:D Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yay for you Steve. I started my diet again on Monday. Lost 2 pounds so far, 5 more to go. I sure miss my sweets though.

Mary

Latest posts