Slugs getting at Strawberries

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Will a thick layer of straw be enough to deter the slugs getting at our strawberries?

I thought animals were eating the berries so I put up a fence.Then I noticed the slugs the next day.I had put some straw out,but not the thick mat that was recommended.

Will increasing the straw help,or just give the slugs a place to hide?

I have some DE that I got for pest control of ants,but don't want to get that on the berries.

Getting some cheap beer to make traps.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you will find the beer works best. The mulch has its purpose, but it is a place for them to hide. You can put a board out by the berries, when you turn it over in the am it will have slugs clinging to it- squish!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Straw will not deter slugs. I have a bad slug problem and the only thing that really seems to work is crushed oyster shell. I spread it around the base of the plant. I have to have the oyster shell on hand for my laying ducks anyway so it is cheap and easy.

I also let the ducks lose in the garden beds in spring and in fall to clear out as much as possible, but I can't have them in the garden during growing season. They eat too many of the plants!

krzybo

Leafing Out
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Straw will not deter slugs. I have a bad slug problem and the only thing that really seems to work is crushed oyster shell. I spread it around the base of the plant. I have to have the oyster shell on hand for my laying ducks anyway so it is cheap and easy.

I also let the ducks lose in the garden beds in spring and in fall to clear out as much as possible, but I can't have them in the garden during growing season. They eat too many of the plants!
Do you have to keep replacing the oyster shell? I live in "slugville".:he

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I find that spraying the ground with an organic insecticide in a line around the plants seems to deter slugs. They "travel" from cover during the night to feed. I haven't had strawberries for quite a few years, tho'. I know that they can be real hard on those berries.

In the greenhouse, where slugs can be a problem, iron phosphate (Sluggo) works fine but it is expensive. Also, if it gets wet - it dissolves. Iron phosphate has now been accepted as an organic pesticide, I believe. It is something of a fertilizer for plants.

I've seen sparrows eat the Sluggo pellets. I hope that's okay. It is supposed to be safe for pets.

Steve

slugs in gardens, Colorado State University

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You do have to reapply the oyster shells, but not as often as you have to reapply DE. I tried DE last year. Much better results with the oyster shell.

Latest posts