Slugs

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Would anyone have an idea how I could control slugs?. I've heard of the beer method and would never use the pellets due to wild life. Now I have chickens I can't just put cans of beer about not to mention to cost.
Last night I was horrified to see countless of them all over the ground and crawling up my greenhouse, that is not in use yet :(

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
put down some flat boards on the ground near where they are crawling. in the early morning get up and turn the boards over and smush 'em. repeat as long as needed.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Years ago, I used the beer method and it worked. However, it went against my nature to continue.

I didn't know about the sugar water and yeast at that time. THAT should have been used in hoop house this spring but I was relying on the pellets. The Iron Phosphate in the pellets that I was using doesn't cause the mice any problems, as best as I can tell. Getting the plastic film off allowed the "English" Sparrows to clean up the slugs. They were gone, instantly.

Is that the problem with your greenhouse slug population? That the birds can't get to the slugs?

Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Years ago, I used the beer method and it worked. However, it went against my nature to continue.

I didn't know about the sugar water and yeast at that time. THAT should have been used in hoop house this spring but I was relying on the pellets. The Iron Phosphate in the pellets that I was using doesn't cause the mice any problems, as best as I can tell. Getting the plastic film off allowed the "English" Sparrows to clean up the slugs. They were gone, instantly.

Is that the problem with your greenhouse slug population? That the birds can't get to the slugs?

Steve
Today I have set up the yeast sugar and water method . I have frozen yeast and it smells, I have set it up in a bucket with a hole in the side and put a plastic bag over the top because tonight it's raining. So fingers crossed this will work.
There are snails out there but I don't loathe them nearly as much as the slugs, I wonder why. :\

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What about putting chickens in the green house to clean up the slugs?

Another trick is putting salt on slugs. They melt like tossing water on the wicked witch in The Wizard of Oz.

They will not cross copper. That gets expensive. If you have raised beds you can put copper around the top of the raised bed.

The salt is fun, try it. Sliming their nasty selves up the wall? Toss salt on them.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this, I also have a slug problem in the garden. I've tried sluggo with good results but with the rain and frequent watering it's not as effective. I like the cardboard idea too. Slugs are so gross. I wash my salad green leaves individually now because once I was about to take a bite of lettuce and a slug came slithering (?sliding) out and I almost puked. Now I wash each leaf individually lol.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What about putting chickens in the green house to clean up the slugs?

Another trick is putting salt on slugs. They melt like tossing water on the wicked witch in The Wizard of Oz.

They will not cross copper. That gets expensive. If you have raised beds you can put copper around the top of the raised bed.

The salt is fun, try it. Sliming their nasty selves up the wall? Toss salt on them.
This made up greenhouse was a rip off.
I paid someone to do it then found out this man was not so trustworthy. My nieghbor really gave me a well deserved telling off because he knew of this guy, he had burgled in the past and had been ripping people off for years, so it was no surprise after that revelation my nieghbor found his shed had an attempted break in.
This con man never finished my green house and kept asking for more and more money. He didn't even nearly finish and my nieghbor had to get up and put screws in the roof and I still haven't managed to fix the side panel. Now I have all sorts under this roof including wood that I need putting together for raised beds. On top of all this the garden next door has a lot of weeds and brambles coming through my fence into the ill fated gh, which I cant reach. Guessing this is a perfect hotel for these darned slugs.
Sorry about the book. But this should explain why my girls cannot get in to help out.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hate people like that who lie and take advantage. I also hate thieves. I was called for jury duty on a theft case that was felony theft. I told the district attorney that a thief is a murderer of your labor and he liked my saying. I then told the man's attorney that his grandma needed to take him behind the woodshed and give him a whipping with a peach switch. I was not chosen for that jury.......gee, I wonder why!

Latest posts