Small Dinosaurs for Pest Control

Todd Prescott

Sprout
Reaction score
I did respond to Todd.

There was almost nothing that I could add. Some of the problem was that it was such a long time ago but it wasn't so much of a memory thing. (Steve tells himself unconvincingly. ;)) I did forward a link to an obituary ...

This is certainly off-topic but I also related it to a genealogical search I had going on over the last few days. That involved a state genealogical society putting a 1983 newsletter on the internet. There was a lady claiming the same people who are supposedly my early 19th century ancestors! She requested information with her name and address. Not surprisingly, she died 7 years ago ... google told me ... :(

It is something of moot lead. You see, I also came across a recent post by someone who says that he has been trying to determine which of the 4 individuals with his surname had been the first to migrate to North America. His is an unusual name (& mine ;) and he felt that 1 of these individuals was his ancestor but the trail went dark as soon as he set foot in Maryland, I believe it was. Frustrating to him was that there was an actual book written in the 1930's about the family of one of the 4. You see, one of those grandchildren was a well-known member of the LDS church. I mean, it was all right there! If only he could claim that his was THIS family and NOT the person he suspected (and, who migrated almost 200 years later). He had been doing his research, he said, for 20 years!!!

Well ... I could share some news with him about something that is even more frustrating. My father's youngest brother engaged himself in a couple of years' research on our ancestors about 20 years ago. Those were the early years of the internet and he sent out a half dozen queries - even visiting some distant "cousins." I doubt if this guy was one of them. I know that Uncle wasn't sure about his conclusions because he told me. But, he got them out there in the e-world, drawing the connections with the LDS family. There they are --- set in stone, 20 years later. Through the miracle of the internet they have even SPREAD, in a major way! Without some remarkable research, maybe some DNA testing, and likely a HUGE measure of LUCK, there is no way of correcting the e-record if Uncle and I are really related to one of these other 4 that this guy has discovered. And, who is to say that this was the limit to that family's migration across the Atlantic.

Reality from Myth? Disinformation runs rampant in today's world. An orphan before the turn of the 20th century, I'm not sure that my grandfather even knew his grandfather's name. I didn't think to ask him when I was in 2nd grade and before he passed away ...

Steve
Thank you so, so much Steve. Your link to the obit in the private message to me will be very helpful. Been busy with work and am getting a quick break now to thank you. I appreciate the detailed PM you sent and will go through it more thoroughly later. TODD

Latest posts