Smoke 'em if you got 'em, boys!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't help loving my red smoke tree.
smoke tree red.JPG

I also have a green smoke tree with white flowers (smoke), but it is not worth growing for the show. I needed the close up to be able to even spot any of the "smoke".
smoke tree white.JPG

The red one, on the other hand, will just get more and more beautiful as it grows, as does this fantastic Eskimo Sunset maple tree that is growing so slowly.
maple tree-Eskimo sunset.JPG

I can hardly wait for this baby to grow into its massive glory of color. These pinks, greens, whites, and splotches are its summer color and not just the way it leafs out in the spring.

Finally, I wanted to show what's left of the geo-mess in the front/side yard lawn.
lawn geo-mess gone.JPG

The spot is nearly invisible and it is impossible to tell there are 5 wells and a mixer tank under the lovely green! Of course I lost my kidney-shaped dahlia bed (sob) when DS and DH removed the drill-mud, smoothed the dirt piles, and I replanted the lawn.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks good Red! That maple is interesting, I've never heard of Eskimo Sunset.
I'll have to keep an eye out for it. I now have 13 smoke bush in the yard. One was a tree form I had planted for a client that failed at the tree top but came back from the roots to make a shrub. He wanted it gone so I brought it home. 9 are planted in the house beds, 3 in the picket garden. Most of them won't smoke because I will keep them pollarded as shrubs. I love their versatility and the color of the new growth.
I have Royal Purple, Grace (my favorite), Golden Spirit and some that were labeled "old fashioned" which I assume is just the green leaved one.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I checked on line to be sure I had the right name. Here is Monrovia's info on the tree. However, further information came up with my search. I have never seen this tree apart from that one time at Song Sparrow Nursery (a great place for peonies you never knew existed), so I was unaware of the concerns some areas have for its possibly invasive qualities.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't see it as being any more invasive than any other maple variety. If it sets seed and the seed takes, a new tree will grow. I keep the area around my Eskimo mowed so I doubt we'll be having any problems. 'Sides, they are sort of borderline hardy in my part of the world.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Shrubs or trees. The green smoker is a tree. I plan to train the purple one into tree shape as well, although at 2 years old, it is more shrub than tree.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think all maples could be considered invasive if you count how many sprout up in the spring from seeds. it wouldn't make me hesitate to plant one. I love the variegated leaves, and it looks like it doesn't get super huge. I think if it can grow in Aurora CO (Monrovias info) it could grow just about anywhere.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have plenty of "junk" maples growing all over the area -- and all over this property -- so I don't imagine this maple becoming a problem. We also have a couple dozen sugar maples planted to the West. By the time Maverick and Gypsy are grandparents the trees should be ready for tapping. We just went for the fall color that's too far away to need raking.

CrazyFeathers

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Smart Red I think these are the first pictures I've seen of your homestead. Your lawn is beautiful, so green and full. I like those smoke trees, of course I've never heard of them before but I like em. We just planted some maples about a month ago as well as Apple trees, one thing we lack is trees. We have quite a few pines but we don't consider them trees at all, more like weeds. We will wait for clearances and buy whatever they have left.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red that is so great your kids want to stay in your home. My grandfather built the house my father lives in, unfortunately none of us kids want it. When my dad goes house will be put up for sale.