smoking a green ham

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cookies usually get flatten because of too much shortening or butter hitting the hot temperature. I always chill my cookies so that they won't melt as fast. I saw a test once comparing cookies that had been chilled and not chilled and brown sugar versus regular sugar.Chocolate cookies that were chilled first were much thicker.

Mary
Learn new stuff here all the time! Thanks.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The gift pumpkin bread turned out fine ... foorrtunatelee!

I hadn't run the pumpkin thru the blender or food processor thinking that the beaters would take care of it. It was well cooked. Wrong. Puree must be best!

However, I didn't make more cookies today. I'm hoping that will also turn out okay. I like this stuff. The flavor is fine and say "winter holidays" to me! I think that I could get by with a little less sugar in the cookies, is all. I hope that won't change 'em too much.

Steve
BTW, the receptionist at my dental office goes by the name of "Candy." If she knew what I've been up to today, she would probably be doing this
downloadfile_zpsyw43ihy0.gif

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, this is the first time I've made pumpkin pies using fresh pumpkin. They weren't sugar pie pumpkins. They were a little bigger. They were free so I'm hoping they will taste good. I did use the blender to puree them. I always put a little less sugar in my cookies. For some reason, using the amount recommended makes them too sweet. But maybe it's just me. Although no one has ever complained that they weren't sweet enough.

Mary

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
well that was a disaster...that's what i get for buying a food lion spiral ham on sale..... to start with smoking was great what a great flavor ...now the bad part the ham was only spiraled in about a inch, half the ham came out firm and other half was all mush..plus overall it was tasteless... did some reading on what i did wrong..#1 is adding fresh pineapple while cooking due to the enzymes in it, nope no pineapple added. the other possibility was that it was injected with to much tenderizer at the factory. told the dw this upcoming easter we will buy a smithfield ham.. not even sure we will keep the rest to make soup with....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hams are expensive can you return to store ? You would not believe things my sister returns.

doubt it .. that's what you get for thinking you're getting a bargain and saving .33 a pound over a local ham .. who knows that ham could have come from overseas :sick

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Buying a spiral cut ham and then cooking it is doing nothing else but drying out the cut portion of the ham. NOT good !! :sick I only buy a ham that has skin on it which cooks to a perfectly moist and delicious ham. :drool Also the skin is perfectly edible and is soo good. :clap

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does any one watch "America's Test Kitchen" on PBS? I sure learn some interesting things on there. I like Alton Brown, too, to learn the science behind the cooking. But you have to look past his silliness.

Latest posts