smoking a green ham

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
OK, Green Ham, if you're going to cold smoke it you better get it going, if you want it for Christmas.
Hot smoking is faster, but it won't last as long unless frozen, I guess you know this.

If you're going to cold smoke, you must have built a smoke house, I'm thinking about building one. I made a barrel Smoker, that works well for Hot smoking.

What's your plan?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, Green Ham, if you're going to cold smoke it you better get it going, if you want it for Christmas.
Hot smoking is faster, but it won't last as long unless frozen, I guess you know this.

If you're going to cold smoke, you must have built a smoke house, I'm thinking about building one. I made a barrel Smoker, that works well for Hot smoking.

What's your plan?

after about for reading decided to scratch that idea, just going to smoke a spiral ham ...heat smoke serve...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
after about for reading decided to scratch that idea, just going to smoke a spiral ham ...heat smoke serve...

Going okay?

My pumpkin latte cookies didn't come out like the pictures. Surely it isn't because I left out the cardamom!

Steve, I would just leave it out. I don't think I would use coriander.

Mary

And, I left out the coriander ;). The flavor is mm-mmm good, however. Pumpkin, spices like for a pie, instant coffee - I don't know how a different spice could have made them better.

The problem with appearance was the same as I had with the 2 loaves of Half Moon Bay pumpkin bread - too much moisture. Neither bread nor cookies raised as expected! Cookies are almost lace type. Flavors are there with both.

Now, to enjoy with my first cup of Puroast Columbian! Yes, Amazon came thru for the holidays. BTW, I'm planning on making more of all 3, tomorrow ... better find a way to leave some of the moisture out of the baked goods ...

Steve :)

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Going okay?

My pumpkin latte cookies didn't come out like the pictures. Surely it isn't because I left out the cardamom!

And, I left out the coriander ;). The flavor is mm-mmm good, however. Pumpkin, spices like for a pie, instant coffee - I don't know how a different spice could have made them better.

The problem with appearance was the same as I had with the 2 loaves of Half Moon Bay pumpkin bread - too much moisture. Neither bread nor cookies raised as expected! Cookies are almost lace type. Flavors are there with both.

Now, to enjoy with my first cup of Puroast Columbian! Yes, Amazon came thru for the holidays. BTW, I'm planning on making more of all 3, tomorrow ... better find a way to leave some of the moisture out of the baked goods ...

Steve :)

:lol: dang it's great being dyslexic or ads.:lol: your choose ...

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve are you sure you have the right amount of flour and butter? Too little flour will make it mushy. Too much butter will make cookies thin and lacy. Double check your recipe. I'd probably find another recipe. I always check for reviews. There was one for puff pastry and the oven temp was at 350. Well I knew that was too low. Sure enough I checked the reviews and some people had commented that it should be 400 degrees.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never thought about temperature making much difference.

Bread was supposed to be 350, cookies 375. Would that have flattened the cookies, going with lower temperature?

Cookies said use shortening. I've made that pumpkin bread many times and never expected any problem. I'll need to do better tomorrow!

Of course, I'll still have 1 more day :rolleyes:.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always use butter for baking and works just fine in recipes that call for shortening. Another thing is the freshness of your leavening.
I used a sugar cookie recipe from a food blogger and she stressed the importance of fresh baking powder. I haven't given it much thought before, but I looked at the industrial strength container I have had in the cupboard for...um, quite some time, and the expiration was 2010. :oops:
Ouch, that was embarrassing. So I tossed it and bought a small, reasonable, fresh can. Can't say that I noticed the difference, honestly, but I sure have a lot more room in that cupboard now!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cookies usually get flatten because of too much shortening or butter hitting the hot temperature. I always chill my cookies so that they won't melt as fast. I saw a test once comparing cookies that had been chilled and not chilled and brown sugar versus regular sugar.Chocolate cookies that were chilled first were much thicker.

Mary

Latest posts