Snow, milk and Bread

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is, very much what you are used to. But, my parents were children of the depression, Dad, 98 next month, was nearly a teenager by Black Tuesday, 1929. Mom said her family was "always depressed," she never knew when it started ;).

My dad would be 106 (Editing this because my dad would not be 116 :oops:. He would be 106. He was born in 1910.) this year and my mother would be 101. I heard a lot of stories and they just did not panic over things. They both went blind later in life and before marrying, so when I was born and my brother, we were raised by blind people who were fearless. I almost am ashamed if I get afraid of things. One year in Kansas there was an ice storm and we did not have electricity for 13 days, no heat. My mother put all the food in the bathtub and we filled it with snow. We had a gas stove and it kept the kitchen warm and we could cook. We would go to town for water and the stores were open. I walked everywhere when I was a kid. They could not drive, so we walked to the store, pushed a cart home, pushed the cart back to the store, 1 mile each way. I think it was just half a mile to school, but it did not matter if it was raining or snowing, we walked to school. Actually, all those times were fun. My mother made the Depression sound like a cake walk. They had a garden, cow, chickens, family member with a job at the telephone company. My dad made it sound like a nightmare. Hunting, fishing, no jobs, no money. Both going through the Depression in Oklahoma.

Last edited:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
:lol: That's what my son said...milk sandwiches. I'm guessing french toast because they usually get eggs too. Wondering why they don't get canned goods, things that don't go back when the power goes out.
I suggested to someone to get canned foods for an emergency. She said "How would we open the cans if the electricity was off?"

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My dad would be 116 this year and my mother would be 101. I heard a lot of stories and they just did not panic over things. They both went blind later in life and before marrying, so when I was born and my brother, we were raised by blind people who were fearless. I almost am ashamed if I get afraid of things. One year in Kansas there was an ice storm and we did not have electricity for 13 days, no heat. My mother put all the food in the bathtub and we filled it with snow. We had a gas stove and it kept the kitchen warm and we could cook. We would go to town for water and the stores were open. I walked everywhere when I was a kid. They could not drive, so we walked to the store, pushed a cart home, pushed the cart back to the store, 1 mile each way. I think it was just half a mile to school, but it did not matter if it was raining or snowing, we walked to school. Actually, all those times were fun. My mother made the Depression sound like a cake walk. They had a garden, cow, chickens, family member with a job at the telephone company. My dad made it sound like a nightmare. Hunting, fishing, no jobs, no money. Both going through the Depression in Oklahoma.
Funny the way each parent viewed the situation. A nightmare to Dad, a cakewalk to Mom.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a really interesting perspective, @Gardening with Rabbits . Amazing how they pressed on in spite of their disadvantage and with such a stalwart attitude. Don't we need more of that attitude nowadays?

I'm sure even hunting and fishing would quickly get very tiresome for a man, when it's no longer for sport and your belly is depending on it.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I LOVE that quote! I love to hear stories of women who persevere in adversity and I admire them greatly. I think that is what we are built for and we lose something integral over generations if we do not have something to overcome every now and again.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure what adversity faced Dr. Charlotte Taylor but the first law for someone in public communication must be "know your audience!"

Okay audience, take a look at this :D:

"Scientists at the Missouri Botanical Garden discovered more than 180 new species of plants in 2015, a number which will likely represent approximately 10 percent of all new species discovered in the world last year."

Missouri Botanical Garden

Steve

Latest posts