Snow, milk and Bread

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Massive, deadly blizzard roars up the East Coast

I think, in this day of false drama, that people have really forgotten what the words "massive" and "deadly" truly mean. I remember snows that covered our eaves on the house and we had to dig a hole to slide down into the home and climb up out of it. Two feet of snow is neither massive nor deadly, IMO. :rolleyes:
There were deaths attributed to the storm. A lot of snow depends on where you live. 2 inches paralyzes cities that do not have snow removal equipment, sand and salt. Along with drivers unaccustomed to driving in it, it is all relative.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
So of the empty shelves comes from deliveries not being made.

nope it was from everyone waiting till the last moment to shop. and once the storms hit no vendor in their right mind is going out... if you did not watch the news 4 days earlier telling everyone that it's going to be a bad one , and you go out and there's only swirl pumpernickel bread and mystery red hot dogs ...that's their fault.

when you hear thats a bad storm is coming be....proactive rather than reactive...

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree. Most deaths in such situations are due to poor planning...not all, but most. Cities and drivers unaccustomed to snow storms that have had them at least once in the past, should plan for them in the future, no matter how infrequent of an occurrence they may be. Winter time? Have snow tires on your vehicles. Drive slow. Don't go anywhere unless it's absolutely necessary. Stock up, draw up water, plan for the emergencies that may occur. It's not like these things hit by surprise...anyone who lives near anyone with a TV or radio can get the news of the weather. People discuss it ad nauseum, so it's not a big secret.

The truth of the matter is, there are deaths attributed to the snow and icy roads in every single state every single winter but you don't see them over dramatized on the TV. It's just a matter of fact about winter. The east coast is not alone in this, so I don't see the need for all the hype.

I know that may seem callous to some people, not having the full measure of "Oh, isn't that a shame????" expressions given for these events but there are far worse things happening out there in this world than a snow storm on the east coast. Yes, I feel compassion for those in need and in trouble, but snow is pretty much expected and the troubles associated with it are pretty standard, nothing new to lament there. It's sad but not some kind of injustice happening or overwhelming conditions that have ripped apart countries and thousands of lives that we should get up in arms about it all. It's just winter, with all the things that winter brings. I just don't see the drama in it all.

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, I wish I could write like you. It's hard for me to express myself in writing. I also agree with all that you said. It seems like the media likes to hype everything.

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Curious, what possessed someone after getting 4-6" of snow, thought it was a good idea to drive somewhere? Especially knowing that another 24" was being called for,

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We used to always joke about the bread & milk thing - "what are they making... milk sandwiches?"
I filled up a wicker laundry hamper this fall when they were talking hurricane. There's a good stash of crackers, tuna, granola bars, peanut butter, those little 6-pack crackers, etc. The storm didn't happen so I shoved it under the 'coffee station'. It's not 'good eats' but we won't starve.

:lol: That's what my son said...milk sandwiches. I'm guessing french toast because they usually get eggs too. Wondering why they don't get canned goods, things that don't go back when the power goes out.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
My son called to say he was woke up at 2:30 yesterday morning by someone knocking at the door. It was a little boy with no shoes or coat, in 18 degree weather. Turns out his mom was working, and the baby sitter left after he fell asleep. He woke up to an empty house, and was going to try to go to grandma's. He walked a couple of blocks, apparently. And got lost. He is 5. He would have easily frozen to death out there!

That was a close call. I am glad your son heard the door at that hour.

Latest posts