So is it Broth or Stock

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you have seen what was on the chicken feet ... that is the same stuff that one puts in your garden as compost or fertilizer, mixes it in with the existing soil, gets it all over ones' hands, shoes, clothes and feet. Oh, and don't forget the addition of worm doo doo and an addition of other micro organisms' as well as insect pests' and beneficial insects 'doo doo . Plants their veggies, trees, etc. and when it is time to harvest eats a test bite or two or three right then and there and then washes the rest of the harvested crop, eats it raw or cooked. So, what is the diference between them except by not using the chicken feet you will be throwing out tons of nutritious broth and/ or stock ? Anything that was once on the chicken legs has been washed off, boiled off several times long before you made a valuable and nutritous food item ! Same thing only more rich and concentrated nutrients than in the store bought packaged stock . :idunno

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've heard of people using the chicken fat in place of butter too.

I'd use the feet if it weren't so time consuming to scald and peel them. I'm sure every part of the chicken tastes like chicken. ;)

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've heard of people using the chicken fat in place of butter too.

I'd use the feet if it weren't so time consuming to scald and peel them. I'm sure every part of the chicken tastes like chicken. ;)
Try goose fat ( shmulte ? ) sometime ... tastes much better than chicken fat any day of the week. :drool Processing chicken legs may be time consuming, but so worth it !:)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you get the scalding right it's not all that time consuming, though it helps to have fingernails and thumbnails. It is real easy to over-scald.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stock or broth? I just call it all broth. Simple.

Chickenfeet. I toss to the dogs who "help" me with butchering. I don't have a problem with where their feet have been, they can be washed and scalded, then that layer of where-their-feet-have-been comes off. I keep intending to make broth from the chicken feet, but just haven't yet.

CanadianLori

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
[QUOTEphysranch, post: 205942, member: 1698"]On another forum, we were talking about making bone broth. I've never made it cus I simply could not afford the propane to be on for a day or so. I learned I could try to make some in a crock pot.

Also I didn't know that you have to peel chicken feet before making any stock/broth. The Asian markets in San Jose have them for cheap![/QUOTE]
I use pressure cookers. Cuts down on time immensely.

Latest posts