So is it Broth or Stock

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought briefly about hijacking @bobbi-j 's thread asking @Ridgerunner about canning broth ;). @journey11 used both words, broth and stock, in her post.

It's very important to me!! Not the definitions but the ingredient -- it shows up in my soups, stir-fries and casseroles! Since those constitute the sum total of my main course repertoire, often with only the ratio of ingredients varied, you can understand why I might want to know how to talk about stock and broth.

The other day, I read a "food person" state that we may as well accept the fact that Americans use the words interchangeably ... Shoot! I'd finally just gotten it into my head that a broth, you might enjoy steaming hot in a mug. A stock, you would never think of doing that! Both could be used as ingredients, in complex haute cuisine or simple recipes like mine :).

Unsatisfied that the kitchen rug had been pulled out from under me, I decided to bypass the dictionary definitions which may have led me astray and look at actual usage of the two terms. Yeah, you can see it, we swap one for the other ... I went a small step further to see if one word is winning out:

Google Ngram

;) Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stock - liquid made by cooking bones, meat, fish, or vegetables slowly in water, used as a basis for the preparation of soup, gravy, or sauces.

Broth - soup consisting of meat or vegetable chunks, and often rice, cooked in stock.

Just a couple of definitions I found. I’m sure there are plenty of other different definitions available. Interesting that they use the word “or” in both where I would be much more likely to use “and/or”. When I make stock I use bones, meat, vegetables, herbs, and a spice (peppercorns). When I have a soup that has chunks of vegetables and meat in it, I generally call it a stew.
Interesting that their broth has chunks in it. The stuff you buy at the store does not, at least the stuff I remember. It’s been a while since I bought any.

For your poll, I use them interchangeably. When I read them, I interpret them as interchangeable. When I can ”stock” I write “broth” on the lid.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
On another forum, we were talking about making bone broth. I've never made it cus I simply could not afford the propane to be on for a day or so. I learned I could try to make some in a crock pot.

Also I didn't know that you have to peel chicken feet before making any stock/broth. The Asian markets in San Jose have them for cheap!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You don't "have" to peel them, but I know where those feet have been. Some people use them without peeling them but for me to use them, they 'have" to be peeled.

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In my brain, broth is a clear liquid that is used in soups or stews. Stock is the chunky stuff. Probably because when I cooked at the local nursing home, if a resident was on a clear liquid diet, they got chicken broth. Just the liquid - no meat pieces.

I haven't been able to convince myself that chicken feet should be eaten ever, peels or not. I just don't think I could boil them long enough....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've yet to make good vegetable broth.

It may be from lack of trying. There's always the stuff from the store and no bone should leave this house without being boiled ... that's my philosophy. Garbanzo and Waffles have been forbidden bones by DD so I don't have to worry about dog competition or germs!

Broth making takes 90 minutes. We have talked about this before. I know that others have different standards but 90 minutes cooks whatever veggies I've put in with the bones completely. No microorganism will be still swimming around ...

What do you suppose it takes to make good vegetable broth? There's something called "umami" that has to do with flavor. Should I know more about that??

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DD told me yesterday that she often has roasted vegetables ... so, I started talking about broth! In about 19 seconds, I could see her eyes begin to glaze over.

I asked, "would roasted vegetables make good broth?" She says, "Look it up on Pinterest! That's where I get all of my recipes :)"

Thirty minutes into my search, I still hadn't found a single vegetable broth recipe ... but, I did find a picture. Since pinterest pictures are linked to websites - Bingo!

It answers all the initial questions I know how to ask! Talks about umami and roasting. Yes, she has great pictures and even has a page for her food photographer - who gives tips!

I figured this Jennifer must be @Jeni Ann :), until I realized that she is in Michigan.

Steve

Latest posts