So much passion in such a small body.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mr. Helpful is 4 years old, and at the beginning of his 4th year too. Since he was aprox. 3 1/2, he has been begging me for a violin. Consistently. Nearly daily. When we pass a homeless person playing a violin, he stops, crawls right up next to whoever it is, and begs for a lesson. (Most of these people are so sweet, and so obliging, and do in fact give him a lesson. Yes, I tip them handsomely for their patience.)

Well 2 weeks a go he discovered that if you get this thing called "money" you can buy what ever you want for it, and if he is willing to clean chicken coops, water gardens, sweep the floor, etc. I will give him some "money" to buy things.

Well after perusing toy catalogs carefully, he confessed tearfully to me that he wanted all these things...but what he really wanted was a violin.

So I started searching for a violin, and he started earning coins. I almost feel a little guilty. He works just as hard for a penny as a quarter, and not only are ALL of my housework chores done, some projects I've been putting off for years because I didn't have time with a child are done too. I kinda wish I'd explained money a bit sooner. :D

Anyway, he finally got his violin, and I had to call ahead to explain to the woman that she was going to get a fist full of change from my son, and to just accept it. And she was SO sweet and handled my son like a champ. He finally has his violin. And he got his first lesson on friday. And since then he practices at LEAST 20 minutes a day, usually about an hour.

I'm shocked because he took in everything the lady said to him about the violin, and everything the instructor said too, and he practices it with a zeal that I wish he would show for learning his alphabet. He can already name the strings, pluck the correct note, play all of the notes he has been shown, play long and short sounds, and hold the violin correctly.

And he doesn't get tired of playing it.

Just had to share what my little guy has been up to, and some pictures. You can truly see the passion in his face when he is playing. (Although this may be my mommy glasses coloring it, and trying to justify the price tag.)

Here is his story in pictures, including some of what he did to earn his violin. :)

DSCN6183.jpg

Filling chicken waterers at Too-Early-O-Clock in the morning

DSCN6186.jpg

Painting my sign post.

DSCN6195.jpg

After washing my car, vacuuming and shampooing the carpets, windexing the windows, and wiping down all the surfaces on the inside. I hope none of you think I'm a cruel task master. Had to find stuff for him to do until it was time to go get the violin, and he asked me NON STOP for something to do. What else was I supposed to do, but sit in a hammock with an iced tea while he ran around finding stuff to do? :D I love four. I never want him to be anything but four ever again.

DSCN6200.jpg

Seeing his violin for the first time ever.

Turns out, that one was too big, according to his instructor. So daddy took him to a music store, fitted him for a smaller rental until he can grow into the one he owns, along with a tuner, some music books, and way more stuff than a 4 year old should rightfully have. Wish I'd gotten pictures of his little face. <3

Here he is practicing after his first lesson:
DSCN6237.jpg

DSCN6239.jpg

I'm very impressed with him. I half expected him to just bash the bow and the violin together and break it into a million pieces, but he has been very careful and thoughtful, and has actually taken the lessons given to him to heart. Not bad for 4.

Sorry to bother you all with this super long post, but I just can't get my head around him and his new found passion. I'm not even sure what started it because none of us play an instrument, or know much about music.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
How WONDERFUL. I even teared up a bit. Thanks for posting your precious child's quest for his violin and the passion I hope we all can find in life. Bless his heart . (And you too for making it possible for him to have the violin.)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry? Bother? What a wonderful story. You are right about the passion. Few children his age exhibit a passion for music -- for anything -- like that. With all the work he has done to 'earn" his violin, I suspect he will treasure it far more than if you had gotten it for him.

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story about your son. Priceless!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aww, I'm glad you guys like his story as much as I do. He has impressed me so much with his willingness to stick to it, and the fact that he is actually listening to his instructor and practicing every chance he gets. I hope he'll stick to it for a long time.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What a wonderful story! He's beautiful and I'm sure he is much more than just beautiful. Please, please, please enjoy everything about him forever. Even the inevitable not-so-good things that are surely to come along with growing up.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is awesome! What a valuable lesson you've taught him about how working hard pays off. Four is exactly the right time for him to start learning an instrument too. Can't wait to see a pic of this little phenom on stage. :)

My mom plays several instruments and really wanted my daughter Ava to learn something. She has bought her a keyboard. That only gets played on demo. :confused: And a student violin, which she toyed around with, but never took the necessary interest. (It was too big for her as well, as it turns out.) A friend of mine at church offered to give her lessons for $10/week, but Ava clammed up and wouldn't try. Her other grandma gave her a student guitar she found at the Goodwill and Ava has been taking regular guitar lessons from her dad and that she is really getting into, but I wouldn't say she's exactly passionate about it yet.
I will take a cue from you and have her work for a nicer guitar. Good work, mama! :thumbsup Kids are so willing to help at that age, if we are just willing to let them. (Love the little paint-drizzled strawberry plants. ;) )

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It all sounds good.

It sounds like you are going good too, taskmaster. Many parents assess good behavior as, "not making any trouble for me."

There is more to being a good family member, a good citizen, than just not causing trouble. We may well be setting up our children to be do-nothing slackers with that kind of attitude.

Now, being a parent is doing some work and a four year old shouldn't be working the Mom over whims and fancies. Mom has to have boundaries. ... and a glass of ice tea, now and then. Oh, I don't envy you the noise ;) but it shouldn't last forever.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I loved the noise! I had a drummer and a clarinet in the house (at different periods). Of course, I do have a bigger house and plenty to do outside should the need arise.

Latest posts