Soda Bottle Slow-Drip Irrigation

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
SweetMissDaisy said:
Hi!
I'm wondering if anyone here uses soda bottles as a type of slow-drip form of watering for tomatoes, peppers, etc?

Here is a link w/ an example...
http://www.veggiegardener.com/watering-tomatoes-using-2-liter-sod-bottle/

Thoughts? Opinions?
Since I live in a very HOT place too... For the past two years I have been using different sizes of bottles to make a slow drip type system for my plants that need more water.

I have been using Absolute Vodka bottles, the BIG ones from Costco. They work great! Before that I was using plastic Juice bottles. I cut out the bottom of the bottles, and punched a few holes in the cap. Then it was easy to add more water.

But, I think I like the closed glass bottles better, no mosquitos are able to grow in the closed system.

I think it helps, especially if you have a yard like mine where to install a drip system would be a nightmare! (According to my neighbor, who installs and repairs drip irrigation systems for a living!)

lighthawk

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Rebbetzin... I'm curious. When using the "closed" system did you use more or larger holes in the cap. Also there was nothing in the article about the depth in the soil that the cap should be for optimum water retention.
Being in a northern climate I can see where the bottle would also act as a small heat sink to protect seedlings during a cold snap.
Thanks for the link Daisy.

mare

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I've used used milk jugs and punched holes in the bottom of it. I don't bury mine, however a friend of mine who also uses milk jugs buries her all the way to the top of the cap. We both get the same results.

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i am using this method. i wanted to establish some primrose under my oleanders.
i cut the bottoms off 32oz bottles of gatorade, these bottles are strong! i just unscrewed the lids slightly and buried them. i would walk around and fill the bottles with a old milk jug. i wish i would of buried them deeper cuz they tend to fall over with water in them. i noticed cuz i cut the bottoms off, the bottles will fill with debris from the shrubs and trees. i think as mare said, bottoms down and fill through the tops would keep debris out. the process worked for me, i was going to leave the bottles in again this summer.
the oleanders dont get water from me, except to wash bugs off if needed.
the primrose got established, they looked pretty bad last summer. but i was weeding them out of a area and took handfulls over and buried them under the olendors. they look great now.
oh and i didnt drill holes in the lids cuz i dont know how to change the drill, so my husband suggested using a soldering iron when i need to poke holes in plastic. works awesome!

maybe try a few and see, i think food plants need lots more water than primroses. you can always disregard the idea if it doesnt work. good luck.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've used large soda bottles buried upside down with the bottom cut out so you can pour water into them. It's a good way to get the water deep. In my soil the water never stands long enough to be a mosquito problem. Tomatos have deep roots so you don't really need to have the top of the soil moist so long as there is plenty of subsoil moisture.

lighthawk

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
chills said:
i wish i would of buried them deeper cuz they tend to fall over with water in them. i noticed cuz i cut the bottoms off, the bottles will fill with debris from the shrubs and trees.
That is what I was thinking. Seems if they were saddled in a hole about 4 or 5 inches deep in the soil with a few inches of mulch above that they would be more stable. Also when you pull the bottle to fill it you can test the soil moisture at the bottom of the hole to see if additional water is needed.
I will have to try this.
:thumbsup

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lighthawk said:
Rebbetzin... I'm curious. When using the "closed" system did you use more or larger holes in the cap. Also there was nothing in the article about the depth in the soil that the cap should be for optimum water retention.
Being in a northern climate I can see where the bottle would also act as a small heat sink to protect seedlings during a cold snap.
Thanks for the link Daisy.
Since I am now using the glass Absolute Vodka bottles, 1.75 litres, I set them in the ground so the neck is completely in the soil, up to about 1/4 the height of the bottle.

The way the bottles are designed, they have "drip proof" plastic insert in the top that is divided into fourths. It also seems to keep the water from coming out too fast. Maybe tomorrow I will take a photo so I can show you how it looks.

I also use Sabra bottles, (A chocolate orange liquer from Israel. They have long necks that go deeper in the ground. This will be my frist summer to really use the bottle system on most my plants.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'd love to see photos Rebbetzin!
Are you drilling holes in the bottles?

..... after re-reading your post, it sounds like perhaps you cut the BOTTOMS off, and put the neck of the bottle into the ground, leaving the bottoms open for filling .....

if you have time to take a snapshot, that would be wonderful!! :)

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
SweetMissDaisy said:
I'd love to see photos Rebbetzin!
Are you drilling holes in the bottles?

..... after re-reading your post, it sounds like perhaps you cut the BOTTOMS off, and put the neck of the bottle into the ground, leaving the bottoms open for filling .....

if you have time to take a snapshot, that would be wonderful!! :)
No, I don't do anything but fill the bottle and turn it upside down in the dirt.

Tomorrow in the daytime I will take a photo for you to see.

I have to get off line now... my husband and a friend of his just came home with dinner and a movie!!

Latest posts