soil blocks for seed starting?

Reaction score
Hi Guy,
Your hunch is correct. Most people end up buying the Mini 4, 2" soil block maker first. This is the best size for all sizes of seeds. It's big enough to handle for beginners, and the soil block maker tool is large and easy to use. Once you get your hands dirty, you can decide for yourself if you want to go with the other soil block maker sizes (Micro 20, 3/4")for transplanting onto, or potting on, buy virtue of the interchangeable pin sizes for the Mini 4 2" soil block maker, and from there onto the Maxi 1, 4" soil block maker which makes it's own 2" pre-punched hole. The point to remember is, seedlings acually enjoy and are stimulated by the transplanting process, provided there's no transplant shock (which there is none in soil block making), so going from smaller to larger soil blocks are better for plant growth. But one soil blocker is enough for sure. Southern gardeners can choose the smaller seed starter soil block maker called the Mini 5 which makes 5 (1.5") soil blocks. This is because they can get transplants out the door faster than Northern gardeners who need more growing time inside the block waiting for the weather to "get right". See all the sizes and descriptions at this page: www.pottingblocks.com/soil_blockers_for_sale

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
How about individual peat pots?
I've found 6 packs to be the best for myself. I think roots on many plants like a good tearing out of the container for tomatoes and the like.

Reaction score
This is true, catjac, great reasoning here. Some plant roots are stimulated by some ripping and tearing. However, it only appears to stimulate the plant because it is actually being stunted before you transplanted. So, a good tearing has become a garden neccessity, not really a plant favorite. As in soil blocks, the plant has 2-4 times the room to expand its root mass into the soil block, thereby never needing any stimulation, because the growth will be uninhibited right up to transplant into the garden. Have you ever compared tomato plants grown in plastic 6 packs with 6 2" soil blocks? Big difference, the soil blocks can grow twice as big and be yielding 2-3 weeks sooner. See: Transplants in soil blocks.
As far as peat pots are concerned, soil blocks made with real metal soil block makers beats them too! Peat pots are made with a glue that can easily inhibit the growth of plant roots and make them root bound, or dry out. Even if you were to keep them ultra moist, they'll fall apart before they reach the garden. And, there's just not enough soil in them to keep plants happy. Soil blocks contain 2-3 times the volume of soil as a peat pot of the same top dimensions. See Soil Blockers .
We really emphasize growing with soil blocks with the soil block makers as the greenest alternative to modern day transplanting as the one time investment for the tool replaces the need for plastic pots, trays, flats, peat pots, or any consumeable-driven oil-derived product.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
I sure like the idea of soil blocks. I'm just wondering, why are the block makers so darned expensive?
It's a nice idea and have seen them around for years but I bet once they start to dry out they don't hold the shape to well. ;)

why are the block makers so darned expensive
You can make one real easy out of a soup can, a short dowel rod, one screw and a 2 7/8 round block of wood. ;)

Chris

Reaction score
Comparitively speaking, soil block makers are no more expensive than other QUALITY hand tools like trowels, hoes, Japanese garden tools, etc. The soil block maker is for a pretty serious gardener, though. They should be doing at least 50 starts per year to make it worth the investment. But, to the wise gardener that has renounced plastic and needs several hundred soil blocks to start the vegetables, the tool Ladbrooke soil block maker stands the test of time, over and over. Such a quality tool if you've ever seen one! Zinc coated and made of the finest steel. Mine is 12 years old and performs just as well as the same day I bought it, and I have made well over a half-a-million soil blocks! When it comes to the Ladbrooke soil block maker, you get what you pay for, but consider this: After years of buying plastic pots, trays, and flats, which are always going up in price (oil price hikes), soon you will reach the point of simple economics. A one time investment for a life-long tool, versus a spendy, and very fragile, consumable will convince most serious gardeners that soil block makers are indeed the way to start seeds. Hundreds of thousands of gardeners can't be wrong, can they? And, it is true, you can make your soil blocker , but for someone who needs quality starts YEAR AFTER YEAR, the dependability of an Engineered steel tack welded soil blocker will never fail to deliver compressed and permanently standing soil cubes unasailable by water or handling. Because the tool is engineered to compact a wet potting soil to 3-1, soil blocks are completely safe from watering and handling, no falling apart, no erosion, believe it or not! And, wouldn't we all agree that we shouldn't let any potted plant dry out? But, in the case of soil blocks, drying out does not make them any weaker, actually they become stronger, like an adobe soil block. Keep them moist, but don't worry, they are a very forgiveable seedling medium.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
soil block maker said:
Comparitively speaking, soil block makers are no more expensive than other QUALITY hand tools like trowels, hoes, Japanese garden tools, etc. The soil block maker is for a pretty serious gardener, though. They should be doing at least 50 starts per year to make it worth the investment. But, to the wise gardener that has renounced plastic and needs several hundred soil blocks to start the vegetables, the tool Ladbrooke soil block maker stands the test of time, over and over. Such a quality tool if you've ever seen one! Zinc coated and made of the finest steel. Mine is 12 years old and performs just as well as the same day I bought it, and I have made well over a half-a-million soil blocks! When it comes to the Ladbrooke soil block maker, you get what you pay for, but consider this: After years of buying plastic pots, trays, and flats, which are always going up in price (oil price hikes), soon you will reach the point of simple economics. A one time investment for a life-long tool, versus a spendy, and very fragile, consumable will convince most serious gardeners that soil block makers are indeed the way to start seeds. Hundreds of thousands of gardeners can't be wrong, can they? And, it is true, you can make your soil blocker , but for someone who needs quality starts YEAR AFTER YEAR, the dependability of an Engineered steel tack welded soil blocker will never fail to deliver compressed and permanently standing soil cubes unasailable by water or handling. Because the tool is engineered to compact a wet potting soil to 3-1, soil blocks are completely safe from watering and handling, no falling apart, no erosion, believe it or not! And, wouldn't we all agree that we shouldn't let any potted plant dry out? But, in the case of soil blocks, drying out does not make them any weaker, actually they become stronger, like an adobe soil block. Keep them moist, but don't worry, they are a very forgiveable seedling medium.
The soil block maker is for a pretty serious gardener, though. They should be doing at least 50 starts per year to make it worth the investment.
I would call my self a, "serious gardener" and I just see it as a fancy tool that really isn't necessary since most vegetable and flower seedling benefit from transplanting.

but for someone who needs quality starts YEAR AFTER YEAR, the dependability of an Engineered steel tack welded soil blocker will never fail to deliver compressed and permanently standing soil cubes unasailable by water or handling.
You don't need a fancy tool that makes fancy soil blocks to have quality seedlings/plants. You can grow just the same quality seedlings/plants in a pack, pot or even a soup can.

And, wouldn't we all agree that we shouldn't let any potted plant dry out? But, in the case of soil blocks, drying out does not make them any weaker, actually they become stronger, like an adobe soil block.
Dry outs does happen form time to time and I believe that the soil blocks will fall apart when they are dry. I would also keep in mind that adobe is made from sand, clay, water, and fibrous material. I don't any one that is going to clay in the starting mix.

The sales pitch is nice but I don't buy it, I have been gardening for close to 40 years and was raised in my fathers greenhouse and I will be honest I see nothing that great about the soil block maker.
If I would decide to get away from plastic as in Plugs, Packs and Pots I believe I would go with either Fiber Grow Pots, Coir Strips, Cow Pots or Oasis Rootcubes.

Chris

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Soil Block Maker wrote ' Comparitively speaking, soil block makers are no more expensive than other QUALITY hand tools like trowels,..."

I'm all for QUALITY tools and am willing to pay for them when it's a tool whose constant use justifies the expense.
50 starts per year? That's really not many for what you term a "serious" gardener.

I think there are many people who by your definition of serious must be positively obsessed gardeners who may think $100 is not a justified expense when they can use recycled containers for free.

No doubt your block maker is a very well made tool, but I would consider it a specialty item and I can buy a lot of seeds with that money.
I think you may have offended a few gardeners with your hints that they are neither serious nor wise by not using your product.

Reaction score
Here is my public apology for offending all gardeners. Anyone who gardens is wise. Every gardener is a serious gardener, indeed, as trying to grow life is no small thing. There is enough room for everybody and every style of gardening. I deeply appreciate The Easy Garden for allowing me to introduce the soil block maker. Enough has been written, so I bow graciously out of the topic that has inflamed our dear readers. My only concern is happiness. Peace to you my brothers and sisters tending their precious gardens of hope everywhere.

Latest posts