Someone’s Getting Fancy

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am just wondering. First. I could never be that organized. Is it OK that they are so air tight?

if they're dried out well enough that's not as much of an issue, but those are not likely air tight. it's pretty hard to do with hinged containers like those. if i want air tight i use glass jars with proper fitting lids.

if you really want air tight you can heat up a canning jar and lid and put your stuff in there and then put the lid on and crank the ring down well. that will usually seal it completely. of course your items have to be able to stand up to the heat for a bit. many seeds are ok if you don't cook them or get them wet.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, I got the idea from an amazing serious gardener who has been using them for about 5 years. She's never had a problem.

Ridge, the woman I buy tomatoe starts from starts them on January 20. I buy them end of March. They are usually done early around mid August. I could start them later and have a later harvest but I'm always anxious to start spring gardening.

I have so much to learn on seed starting, mainly getting experience doing it. I've been saving 4" pots and 6-packs and have way more than I need. Eventually I'd like to get into seed saving, at least my tomato seeds.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
if they're dried out well enough that's not as much of an issue, but those are not likely air tight. it's pretty hard to do with hinged containers like those. if i want air tight i use glass jars with proper fitting lids.

if you really want air tight you can heat up a canning jar and lid and put your stuff in there and then put the lid on and crank the ring down well. that will usually seal it completely. of course your items have to be able to stand up to the heat for a bit. many seeds are ok if you don't cook them or get them wet.
The individual cases close pretty tightly.

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, I got the idea from an amazing serious gardener who has been using them for about 5 years. She's never had a problem.

Ridge, the woman I buy tomatoe starts from starts them on January 20. I buy them end of March. They are usually done early around mid August. I could start them later and have a later harvest but I'm always anxious to start spring gardening.

I have so much to learn on seed starting, mainly getting experience doing it. I've been saving 4" pots and 6-packs and have way more than I need. Eventually I'd like to get into seed saving, at least my tomato seeds.

Mary
Organization is not my forte. Hiring an organizer is on my megabucks list. I fear they would run away after trying too deal with us.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary what kind of case is that ?
It is for photo storage. Got it on amazon. It was cheaper in a twin pack. As I was filling it, I thought I would only need one and thought of selling the other. I soon found out I needed that one too.

Mary