Something about Scotch Kale

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmm.

So, you are missing something most people would call ... enjoying your food?

Well I had rice noodles today. Really instant - more so than ramen noodles. All you need to do is pour boiling water on them. Except, the water had been boiling bok choy - harvested yesterday before this morning's hard freeze.

Bowl of noodles with the cooking water and the greens. Garlic salt went in. People put garlic in smoothies? Suspect not. Piping hot and tasty!

Steve
Oh, I didn't mention the squeeze of lime juice and sprig of cilantro!

If'n I'd grown mung beans this year, like I've nearly promised here on TEG for the last 2, my hot bowl of soup coulda had homegrown bean sprouts!

You know, the lime and cilantro completely overcome the smell of garlic breath ...

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I decided to come back to this thread (from here) even though I didn't use kale for my pumpkin casserole ;).

@majorcatfish encouraged me to look and sure enuf, there were recipes for pumpkin casseroles!

Pumpkin and Kale Pasta Casserole

Instead of the parmesan and mozzarella, I went with Mexican cheeses (package of shredded), spiced it up a little, and made 1/2 the recipe for DW and me. (Sent this picture to each kid so they would know what they are missing ;).) Oh yeah, honestly, I was going for the kale but the bok choy got in the way ... used extra.
IMG_20151108_112521178_HDR.jpg

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
After a breakfast of pumpkin pie and lunch of counter-ripened chopped tomatoes, cheese and angelhair pasta, it was time to make dinner.

Since I didn't use kale in the casserole, I used kale in a cream soup. I added about a third of a head of cauliflower. The florets were cut small and went in the soup but didn't go in the blender with everything else.

The special deal wasn't the veggie substitutions but using garbanzo beans and tahini with soymilk in place of cream. It worked! Really well. Oh, I only used half the amount of onions and garlic. Here's the recipe:

Creamy Broccoli Soup

:) Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I continued right on with the pureed chick peas, tahini, and soymilk cream soups.

After the kale, there was cream of parsnip:
December 8, 2015 54650 PM PST.jpg
Today, cream of white beets (?):
December 8, 2015 55824 PM PST.png
The honey mustard was a good choice for a complimentary flavor. The sprig of cilantro wasn't a bad idea ;). And, those are honey mustard wheat thin crackers.

Steve :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mmm, those sound good. Gourmet even!

Tahini is one of my favorite secret ingredients. I'm always looking for new things to put it in.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Peasant food, Journey. Anyway, the cook is a peasant. I'm winging it a little too much, without following recipes or substituting too much.

@ninnymary , a cream soup looks like a puddle or maybe something you'd use for wallpaper! Crackers and croutons are part of "landscaping." Wait! The chefs call it "plating" :D.

The white beets are fun! I wonder how many people grow them and what others are doing with theirs. Anyway, they reminded me of turnips or rutabagas while I was peeling. I haven't eaten either of those for many years ... may not be willing to start again ;).

The soup is a little green, mostly from the celery, I guess. It looks like split pea ... Beets are so sweet! Remember, I was supposed to try making syrup? That's out but using honey mustard added to the sweetness. I think it had better just be the mustard next time!

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever followed a recipe for a soup. I just keep adding and tasting. :)

(with a clean spoon, of course! ;) )

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I make berry smoothies and use yogurt and milk in them. I toss in blueberries, strawberries and cherries. (frozen) A handful of pecans, flax seed, a drizzle of honey and turn on the blender. Yummy! I have a few kale plants this year and I chop the leaves and add to soups.

Latest posts