Something Different

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a pastry that is commonly available in the Asian grocery stores around here. It should have an adzuki bean filling but sometimes I've had it with purple sweet potato filling. At least, I assume they were purple. The last two times buying it, coloring is listed in ingredients but neither adzuki nor sweet potato. It has some kind of "gum." Nothing but sweet and I felt cheated!

We have had a steady supply and use for pea tendrils. Peas were planted during Spring and Summer but Summer-sown didn't like the August/September heat. If the current pleasant, 10° above normal weather continues, we may have some pods but I doubt it.

I should say something more about Pinetree Seed Company :). Their packets may be small but the prices are very reasonable. Good choices of varieties and, I think, one of the good sources for a backyard gardener to try new things.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My "something different" this year - the pretty coral red carrots. I totally didn't remember where and when I sowed them but who cares, I love them!
9931_0.jpg

At the end, I only got one "normal" carrot today. :lol:
9932_0.jpg

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a pastry that is commonly available in the Asian grocery stores around here. It should have an adzuki bean filling but sometimes I've had it with purple sweet potato filling. At least, I assume they were purple. The last two times buying it, coloring is listed in ingredients but neither adzuki nor sweet potato. It has some kind of "gum." Nothing but sweet and I felt cheated!
The filling might have been ube (purple true yam) or taro. DW loved an ube-filled pastry sold by an Oriental grocery.
I should say something more about Pinetree Seed Company :). Their packets may be small but the prices are very reasonable. Good choices of varieties and, I think, one of the good sources for a backyard gardener to try new things.
I concur with that endorsement. Pinetree is a good source for gardeners who don't need a lot of seed. I still grow the Sieva limas & Zuccetta Rampicante tromboncino squash originally obtained through them.

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does she like sweets?

First thing I'm making with my Adzuki beans (when I grow them, lol) is Taiyaki. 😁 I don't have the mold, but who cares! Yum!!

Random Taiyaki Recipe with Pictures of Recognizable Finished Product (although I'd cut way way down on the sugar)
Thank you for that recipe! Since my grow out of Takara Early adzuki was successful this year, that frees up the previous lot for cooking. I've seen mung beans used as filling also, presumably the same recipe would apply to them as well... something to experiment with over the winter.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does she like sweets?

we both do, but she would probably not like those unless they were chocolate inside.

First thing I'm making with my Adzuki beans (when I grow them, lol) is Taiyaki. 😁 I don't have the mold, but who cares! Yum!!

Random Taiyaki Recipe with Pictures of Recognizable Finished Product (although I'd cut way way down on the sugar)

looks good to me. i would enjoy them, less sugar also since i like beans as they are, but would also probably like the bean and sugar paste.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having tomato soup for lunch; I'm happy but kicked myself for being too lazy to walk out to the garage for a couple of shallots. But, the Candy onion was at hand ...

Shallots. I don't know if I ever ate them until they were from my garden ... and, that was only after about half my gardening life!

The Candy is fine and dandy especially since I put 2 jalapeños in here!

Steve

Latest posts