Something Unusual in your Yard

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you have something that you think of as unusual, in your yard?

2088376874.png
How about Perilla? Here is one of two volunteers growing in front of the greenhouse.

Last year, there were a dozen perrilla volunteers. I moved most to a narrow space beside the driveway. O boy, they didn't like that!

Either being moved or the location, they stopped growing except for bolting to seed. Those pretty plants weren't so pretty anymore and they were nearly dead, weeks before frost.

Truth is, I have not found a use for Perilla in the half dozen or more years it has grown in the yard. If I treat it as an ornamental but can't move it ... I don't make sushi ... it's just for looking at wherever it decides to grow, I guess.

Steve

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nothing super unusual in my yard, but a few of the things I treasure in it and are special to me:

• the past couple of years a huge section of grass has become naturalized with wild strawberries
  • the old pine tree that has survived a couple of lightning strikes in the decades my family has lived here and has a scar, clear of bark, running from top to bottom
  • over in the wooded area, the remains of some kind of pump/spring/wellhouse. the building is too far gone to know anything about it, just a pile of bricks around a sunken circle of pavers that holds water from the nearby shallow stream
  • the crabapple tree started from the tree in my grandparent's backyard when I was a child

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Prairie Rose , I have alpine strawberries in my backyard lawn grass.

It wasn't as I'd planned. About 10 years ago, they were in pots.

Come to look at that perrilla photo: the tomato is also a volunteer :). It must be a Sungold offspring or Sun Sugar f2. Not Bad flavor fruit ...surprisingly

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
This year for the first time ever, I have little lizards running around the yard.
Today, mum came over for lunch and all of a sudden wildly pointed at her arm chair....a little lizard sitting on the arm rest.
We did manage to get it back outside, but I have no idea how it got inside.

i think they're similar to frogs in that they can flatten themselves out pretty good to get through smaller cracks.

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
P1000117.JPG

This is my 22 year old prostrate Rosemary. Its about 4 feet tall now.
Last year, when I needed to make the sloped path up to the back lawn, I had to cut two feeder roots off it, so I thinned it out and took off a lower branch to try to balance the canopy to the lessened roots. Gave it a couple of liquid fert feeds.
Now its Spring and still here.

I was actually waiting for it to die o i could put a pizza oven in its spot, 5 years later I realised that it had no intention of dying just yet, and no, I still dont have my pizza oven

Latest posts