Sometime Garbage is Garbage.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
On the way to work today I thought I scored big time. Outside a shop a stack of 5 gallon pails was set out for trash collection. No one around here gives them away for free, you have to buy them. I slammed on brakes and jumped out of car, thinking how lucky I was. When I bent down to pick them up I started gagging from the smell. Japanese restaurant was throwing them out, must of had raw fish in them. Raw fish residue out all night in summer heat, not coming anywhere near my car. Drove away disappointed. Have you ever been disappointed by Garbage sighting ?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never had a fish guts experience. Nope. You get the prize on that one! LOL and I even worked for a garbage company and was allowed to pilfer through the big construction roll off boxes!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not much of a dumpster diver, but many in my family are, so it's not something I am opposed to. But I find I am frequently disappointed in the new things I buy in a store, so probably anything I would find in the garbage would at least have the bonus of being free.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
On our local news last night, there were scenes from a collision of two semi trucks. One was full of kitty litter, one was full of dairy products. I would have loved to snag a bunch of those blue plastic milk crates that were tossed around like legos.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
As an under-legal-aged college student I worked for L&N Railroad for a while. They had a derailment involving a car full of bottles of Jack Daniels Old #7. Those were scattered everywhere. I did not get to respond to that derailment but some people I worked with did.

The emphasis was on repairing the track and getting it opened for traffic. They brought in heavy equipment, leveled and repaired the roadbed, and replaced the track. Those bottles were just ground up under the heavy equipment. Forget about any salvage operations, get those tracks open. NOW!

When my friends returned the back of a pick-up truck was full of bottles of Jack Daniels. Some friends! I only got one bottle.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:sick There's some things just can't be washed out. :sick

I've gotten buckets from the deli that took me forever to wash out the hydrogenated goop that was left inside. At least it didn't stink. But it has spared me many unneeded calories, thinking what that stuff must do to people's arteries. If Dawn can't cut it, what will? :confused:

I wish I was on the ball enough to go curb hunting during spring clean up in town. I hear you can find all sorts of good lumber and really useful stuff. We leave stuff out by the road sometimes that our neighbors think we must be crazy to dispose of, but I'm glad someone else can make use of it or get a little cash out of scrapping it.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many a time I've spotted something from afar which, upon closer inspection, was too far gone to reuse. Can't name any one specific thing right off hand but did have a smelly incident the other day. The house next to my brother's house had bags of grass clippings sitting out by the trash pick up that were not being picked up by the trash guys each week...for 3 wks they had not been picked up.

Me, I just jumped out of the car, grabbed them and put them in the back....for about 2 seconds. Then everyone in the car started gagging, so I had to put them back where I found them and pick them up with the truck later. Fermented grass clippings are a bad, bad smell. :sick

Since then my mama has picked up three more bags of the smelly stuff...we just put them on the compost pile with the rest of the gold.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have dumpster dived once, and only once. Someone threw out a really cute, comfy, completely unworn chair because (I'm guessing) one leg was wobbly. I recovered it, tightened the bolt holding the leg, and put it in my kids room. We still use it as a reading chair, every night.

Latest posts