Sometime Garbage is Garbage.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
my dear ex-wife of 19 years once found a chair on a curb and brought it home, it was a very nice looking chair. a week later there was fleas just a jumping everywhere in the house.... no further comments on that.....

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Me, I just jumped out of the car, grabbed them and put them in the back....for about 2 seconds. Then everyone in the car started gagging, so I had to put them back where I found them and pick them up with the truck later. Fermented grass clippings are a bad, bad smell. :sick

Since then my mama has picked up three more bags of the smelly stuff...we just put them on the compost pile with the rest of the gold.

My whole backyard smells like that right now! When we have gotten a chance to cut the shin-high grass, the windrows left behind have fermented from all the heat and rain. Gag a maggot!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My sister is almost a professional dumpster diver. Well, back in the day anyway. She's toned it down a bit now that she is a mature grandmother. :D

I may have already told this story....one day while she and her then teenage daughters were out and about she happened to be driving behind a box store and saw patio furniture sticking up out of their big dumpster. She stopped (screeched to a stop! ) and she and her oldest jumped out to investigate. It was an undamaged patio set that had been tossed at the end of the season. Her daughter gave her a leg up into the dumpster and waited to have the items handed down to her.
Meanwhile daughter #2 was laying down on the van floor, out of sight, praying that nobody she knew would spot them. :oops:

After that find, the store started breaking the legs off everything they threw out.
I guess they had a camera on the dumpster. :eek:

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
After that find, the store started breaking the legs off everything they threw out.
I guess they had a camera on the dumpster. :eek:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breaking off the legs? That's crazy, wanting to damage something so people can't use them:
Reminds me of CASH FOR CLUNKERS. Burning up car engines and smashing cars instead of allowing people to buy them, people who couldn't buy a new car anyway. Throwing away the wealth of the nation. Crazy!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I bought the county house, attic and outbuildings where jam packed with decades of junk. In the attic I found a metal box filled with confederate money. I carefully went though box putting all the same bills together. The 1st bill I looked up, I had 6 of the same. When I found it's value for non-circulated was$1,700 I was tap dancing, thinking this find would pay off mortgage. Then I looked at price for circulated $1.10 years later I am still paying mortgage.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I LOVE to dumpster dive. Gotten all sorts of good things. Even in the dark of night in our old town where homes sold for 1.5mil, I could find things that neighbors throw away. 11 years later I still have a metal butterfly/flower thingie out in my hydrangeas that a neighbor threw away.
Thats why I support a version of the old Freecycle; TrashNothing.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Like a wise person once said, "you don't know where that has been!" I like to be Amish:
Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make do,
or do without
I reuse my stuff until it really is totally worn out. At least I know whose germs have been on it--mine and the dogs!!

Latest posts