SooooCold

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's going to be 8 degrees here tonight. The dog keeps whining to go outside and then wants to come right back in. My vet likes the horses to be out 24/7. I know it is healthier for them but I cannot bring my self to leave them out when it is the low 20's or in the cold rain. My mares legs swell up when she stands in the barn over night. I know the vet is right but I just can't do it. They are blanketed tonight and in the barn. I feel better. The chickens will barely let the snow touch their feet so they are laying poorly. I think they may not be drinking enough water because they have to leave the chicken barn to get it. Cats sneak in every chance they get. Ahhhh spring-can't wait!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My chickens are chicken, too. They barely get out of their house long enough to eat, then run back in. At least the snow here is melting off. We had a balmy sunny 33 today! At least no wind. That's what does me in.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cold here. too. The dog dashes out does his business and wants right back in. Hard to get me going in the mornings.
Stiff until noon. :( Takes far to long to get anything done in the cold. (Or so it seems.) I agree ... Spring can not get here soon enough. Brrrr.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I am sitting down here in southeast Texas and I'll just shut-up and not say nuthin'. :coolsun

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My chickens are big babies and its only getting down into the upper 20's at night! During the day its low 40's. My Salmon Favs only come out if they see me coming with food. You would think the animals would be used to this weather, or even yours after awhile. Do your horses have blankets?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hang in there, Cat, we're on the upswing now! I can literally feel the days getting longer. We had such a mild winter here in WV last year. We were hitting the 80's throughout most of March (freakishly unseasonal, but it sure helped me get through my daughter's hospitalization). Her b-day is in about 2 months, so the memory of those warm, spring days is really helping me patiently bide my time for January and February.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Drove past a landscape business yesterday that said we'll be mowing in 79 days! So today makes 78 so keep holding out hope.

I always gave our horses the options. Blankets to help hold heat in so they are not burning up calories, and we had a good run in. If we saw them in the run in all the time then we'd put then in the barn. Otherwise we tried to let them choose.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
But is it a dry cold :p?

It was 9F New Years Eve & 9 right now. This is the coldest temperature so far this year and that was the very coldest for last winter, also.
shock.gif

Sometimes . . . sometimes, we have a winter with no below zero temps but that is unusual. I do not believe there has ever been such a warm winter low in all the nearly 50 years that I have lived here! We are now at about the coldest time of the year and if 9 will be IT, I am going to be surprised again, big time!

Similar snow-covered landscape as in Cat's recent pictures. However, I'm like Cat's cats . . . I'm much more interested in being indoors than having to endure the outdoor cold . . .

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll join in on the complaining! It was 10 degrees below zero last night!! It is warming up to 25 today... After our mild winter last year, I knew it was too much to hope for another. But, hope I did! Spring is coming....

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
:gig

Hay BayMule, try not to get a sunburn down there in the tropics!

:gig

Compared to my 21 years in Montana, this 33 degrees ABOVE is nice and toasty! I sit on my porch to smoke a cigarette in my long johns, t shirt and cotton socks, and it only takes a couple seconds to warm back up when I step inside!

Latest posts