Southern California?

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm on the border of Torrance & Redondo Beach in LA county.. Not too far from some of you.. I'm also from BYC which is how I found this site.. I visit here more than there lately.:D

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm in North San Diego County, too, in Vista. Popped over here from BYC and was trying to use the same name (Czech's_Chicks) but a registration problem happened. So I guess I will have a different name for here and the backyard herds and self reliant site!

Anyway, I grew up in Riverside county and inherited my green thumb from my grandmother. I've been growing things for a while butdon't really consider myself a gardener until I can dedicate more time and energy into it. I always have something growing and I'm also a cheater - I cut greens off onions and regrown them, save pineapple tops to grow (not successful there, yet) and get volunteer yellow pear toms every year.

My yard is a small orchard, with lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangelo, tangerine, loquat, kumquat, avocado, cheramoya, guava, strawberry guava, phillipine mango, persian mulberry, ice cream bean, jujube, green plum, passionfruit, berries and bananas.

I love getting store bought things to grow. We bought a giant avocado in Vermont last year(supposedly was less fat than a regular avo) and I brought the seed back to CA (largest darn avo seed I've EVER seen) and right now I have a 2' tall tree. I know it won't be anything like the original fruit, but it is still fun seeing what you get. I don't think I'll be happy till there is something growing on every inch. I'd LOVE to be self sufficient and never need to buy anything ever again.

I'd love to get to know some of the local growers and exchange ideas, info, cuttings, seeds, etc

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow, another person from Vista. Your garden and orchard sound amazing. Do to happen to have any voulenteer Mulberries??? :D

It's amazing how many family orchards are in the area. So where abouts do you live? We could be neighbors.

G

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Wow, another person from Vista. Your garden and orchard sound amazing. Do to happen to have any voulenteer Mulberries??? :D

It's amazing how many family orchards are in the area. So where abouts do you live? We could be neighbors.

G
With the sheep, nothing volunteers in the back yard. I am thinking of closing it off from them, though, so I just may end up with a few. I actually got them from Exotica - prices are really good there and I love they way they care for everything and you get to sample everything before you buy.

I'm off Montgomery. Got an acre and nice enough neighbors that the chicken's have never been a problem (except when the 'city' people moved in)....but since my family has owned this property over 50 years I'm grandfathered :old

I used to do extensive gardening but have been reduced to containers because of the gophers...but my City Boy is from a long line of craftsmen and is worth more than his weight in gold when it comes to making or fixing things so I see raised gardens and perhaps a greenhouse in my future.:watering

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:clap See I knew you could be my neighbor. I live on York. :lol:

What a small world.

Did you say you have sheep??? And chickens? Do you have milk goats??? Oh please tell me you have milk goats.

g

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
:clap See I knew you could be my neighbor. I live on York. :lol:

What a small world.

Did you say you have sheep??? And chickens? Do you have milk goats??? Oh please tell me you have milk goats.

g
If I had time, I would get milk goats...when I am able to stay home that will be an option.

You are withing walking distance and I am sure I have passed your house many times taking walks. I am trying to get up enough nerve to talk to the people who live near the corner of York & Monte Vista...with all the figs that line York next to the house that has the persimmons. I'd love to get info on how they have so much growing in the ground without gopher problems and maybe even some fig clippings.

Do you know of anyone in the area that has bees that I can leave in my yard? Saw an ad on Craigslist, but they were in San Diego, and thought we were too far .

I have lots of chickens, and hopefully, will be able to keep them and many more. The county is getting ready to pass a law that you can only have 1 rooster because of the game fighters. I think this is so unfair for those of us who raise for meat and eggs. Really, now...how many fighting silkies have you seen?????

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes for sure you have passed my house. The persimmons and figs are two different neighbors. The persimmion lot goes up the hill to an old home built in the 30s. It just sold last year to a young couple. The figs belong to my neighbours below me. He just put them in a year or so ago. My house is at the top of that driveway.

The elderly couple that live below me are amazing. Old school Romanian and a wealth of knowledge. Very good neighbors to have. They help me with my orchard all the time.

Not sure if the gophers are a problems for them.

You will have to stop by sometime.

G

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just got goosebumps!!!! I've been telling City Boy for over a year...I'm just going to walk up there and start asking questions. Never do. I didn't want to look like a nut bag! When my daughter was pregnant, we would walk all the way up the side of the school and on the way back, I'd gingerly walk past your neighbor's yard and just admire the figs and grapes.

Latest posts