Southern Food For 1st Time

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't watch the video and have never eaten pigs feet. Mom often cooked beef liver with onions and bacon ... beef bacon. Do moon pies count if they come from Little Debbie?

America without the South would be hollow!

As I've pointed out here before, and I'm tired of having to say it! My family of generation is half Southern. Dad's parents were not only from the South but Grandfather was American Indian on both sides and, as an orphan, raised by his Great Aunt who was described as "full-blooded." The name is Dutch and the Mormon Church tells us that the Dutch boatbuilder arrived on the eastern seaboard before the US became a nation.

Mom's family were Northerners but seemed to hug the border right across the country. That is, the imaginary border between North and South. Meanwhile, they stayed on the western frontier of American expansion. My Great Grandfather with his father were Idaho homesteaders. On the paternal side of Mom's family, my Grandfather was Canadian! Can't get more Northerner than that!

Finally, I was born on the western edge of the United States. On a peninsula in the Pacific Ocean! I grew up within 50 miles of the furthest western point in the contiguous US!

Steve has always eaten American, ;)
except when he was out of the country ...

Last edited:

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am from Missouri (the Show Me State), :woot and apparently have Southern on both sides. Daddy's maternal line is from Virginia, going back before the Revolution. One of them, a man by the name of Edmund Pendleton, his name is plastered heavily all over the Southern maps and history books.
Mamas family is Ozark Hillbilly...from the furthest SW corner county..McDonald County MO. Daddy's direct line was from Joplin MO, before that, Pocahontas AR.
Mams line has 2 lines Cherokee. But my 2 sisters and myself, we are first generation born city slickers...in Kansas City MO. Daddy's father, was a Rock Island Rail Roader, and Mason. So we ate like a railroading family. Mama had more of the weird Southern food tastes I guess.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
As one of the Northern folk ... I haven't been able to find any head cheese, blood sausage, borsht, kugelis, pigs' feet, turduckhen, real liverwurst ( not the wanna be at the grocery stores ) etc. in Cal. for decades. I have to make them myself if I want to enjoy them. Not even here in Wa. where there is a heavy Russian population.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure what is truly northern food. Everything we eat, so do other parts of country. Maybe potato soup? Chicken or beef and noodles?

Latest posts