Southern Food For 1st Time

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
You should be afraid. You should be very afraid. My parents got a butchered pig one (and only one) year and I helped Mom make head cheese. She boiled the head until every bit of fat, skin, and meat fell off the skull. Then she added the seasonings and poured everything into bread pans to cool and jell.

YUCK! I actually don't know how it tasted. I never asked for a bite, nor was I urged to try it. Just the thought was enough to turn my stomach. However, I was never hungry enough to have to consider an old time and frugal way to preserve foods.

Tongue, now that was one of the few cuts of meat that I couldn't eat without gagging.
Red ... don't knock head cheese untill you actually eat it. served cold with a touch of vinegar... It tastes GREAT !!! :droolSame goes for beef tongue... it is even better as cold cuts in a sandwich with horse radish garnish. MMMMMM !!! :droolNow turduckhen as a really special fare ... debone a turkey, a duck , and a chicken.lay the turkey down flat skin side down, place the duck on top of the turkey, do the same with the chicken on top of the duck and roll them up, tie them together into a tight log. Roast untill done. Let sit for 15 min. to set, slice and serve with all of your favorite holiday fixins. :drool Fit for royalty, family, and really good friends !!! :love

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
For those that stop by at McDonalds. Their sweet tea is not southern sweet tea. It's just an excuse to drink sugar water-emphasis on sugar.

Tongue is good. Don't ever remember left overs.

Last edited:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
For those that stop by at McDonalds. Their sweet tea is not southern sweet tea. It's just an excuse to drink sugar water-emphasis on sugar.

Tongue is good. Don't ever remember left overs.
When Micky D first came out with Mc Rib ... it was prety good. Their later re- releases are HORRIBLE. Before kids ... some leftover tongue from dinners. With kids ... NONE. If we wanted leftovers , my wife had to prepare 2 tongues for dinner. After kids left home... leftover tongue sandwiches to enjoy again. :drool

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
2lxwef8[1].gif

Ok. Properly made Sweet Tea:

In all respectable Southern kitchens there is a 'tea pot' It does NOT have a fancy spout! It DOES have a stain inside from years of tea making. It is a small sauce pan - NOT non-stick - just a plain, old, pot. Fill the pot 1/2 full of water (about 4 cups-ish) and add about a cup of sugar. Bring this to a rolling boil. Turn the heat down and toss in 4 regular tea bags or 2 large (family size) tea bags. Let simmer.
Then, when it's just right, take the tea bags out and pour the tea into a pitcher full of ice water.

There is an art to this. After several attempts, you'll eventually figure out the amount of water/sugar/simmer time & ice water dilute that makes the tea you like best.

Latest posts