Spaghetti squash

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if you could use it instead of zucchini for bread? Spaghetti squash bread? Maybe make some spaghetti squash fritters? Substitute for hash browns?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm not best judge of this since i love almost every squash/veggie i can eat.

we did grow these one season. had a few fruits, but not nearly enough to make it worth the space or a repeat trial. i was ok with the results, kinda bland, but similar in taste to me as any of the other summer squashes (zucchini, yellow, pattypans, etc). texture was stringy as described and was ok with me. i'm not put off by that sort of thing. would eat them again any time if someone gives them to us, probably won't grow. we put the space into pickle production instead because we all eat those as much as we can grow (or put up).
They are usually prolific. Fantastic cut half, grilled with a little butter.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We eat quite a bit of spaghetti squash here. Last year we had 3 plants in the garden and we still have 2 or 3 squash left and they are still good. Like Steve and others have said you can use zucchini’s also. There is even a zucchini pasta cutter if you want to get serious about it. DW has been wanting to get one the last year or so but so far hasn’t. I am with you I need to start cutting back on all things I like lol. Everything in moderation

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are usually prolific. Fantastic cut half, grilled with a little butter.

i think the cucumbers took over that space. in terms of productivity i was thinking of in terms of comparing them to the cucumbers which we have to pick every few days in season.

everything is good off the grill, add a little butter and heaven reigns. :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
We eat quite a bit of spaghetti squash here. Last year we had 3 plants in the garden and we still have 2 or 3 squash left and they are still good. Like Steve and others have said you can use zucchini’s also. There is even a zucchini pasta cutter if you want to get serious about it. DW has been wanting to get one the last year or so but so far hasn’t. I am with you I need to start cutting back on all things I like lol. Everything in moderation
I want to remove gluten but so far it’s just a thought. :rolleyes:

Mary

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I find the gluten free corn based noodles terrible. They melt into huge globs. Gelatinous masses that aren't fit to eat. The rice based is better for texture and sorghum for flavor. IMHO.

I did well this winter until the daughters came home and we started baking bread. Oops. Need to return to the strict regime.

Spaghetti squash drowned in tomato based sauces are very similar to pasta. Think al dente. I enjoyed them, but Crazy Lady wasn't thrilled. And she is the reason we started this trip.

If you did get one from the store, save the seeds.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wife bought one. Haven’t eaten it yet. She always does that. Buys something I want to eat, them makes a dish so we eat left overs for 2-4 days. Then rinse and repeat. Now that there are only 2 of us, she still cooks (& buys groceries) for 4 with one being a bottomless pit.

Latest posts