Spider love

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Who's that knockin at my door cried the fair young maiden. This is interesting. He's aparently made his final aproach. Notice he has gathered the strands of her web to make his own small web within it. Below that he has constructed a string instrument for playing spider music. Now he will pluck out a tune in a certain way known only to amorous spiders to let her know that he has come a'courtin and is not part of the menu. He'd better be a good string player. One wrong note and that's all he wrote. She's a very severe critic of spider music.

6858_spider_love.jpg

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wow isn't there such a difference in size between male and female.

Hope he gets the song right :fl

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm on the edge of my seat, hopefully you don't go out in the. Morning to find she's turned him into a mummy.( play that funky music right boy). :pop

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well he's gone this morning and his little web within a web has been removed. His little string instrument is also gone but there's no mummy so I guess he made his escape. You know how those guitar players are. He probably won't even call her - the cad. Now I'll watch for an egg pouch and see if I end up with little spidys running all over the garden.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Phew! That was a close one! We'll stay tuned for the next episode of "As the Garden Turns!"

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The greast escape.

Kepp a close eye on mum and babies for us. We are all waiting with bated breath.:gig

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear that he can play a tune, and was quick on his feet.how long does it take for her to lay her eggs if speedy was successful?
Will she go put her egg sack in a woodpile or some other sheltered place, or keep it with her? Curious is all, now I'm hooked for the season, it's way better than surviver :pop

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just wanted to update this necro thread. It is late fall now in my garden and the offspring of this mating seem to be everywhere. I've had to relocate several when I tore out my Summer plants to make way for my Winter garden. Hate to tear up a good web but I try to relocate them to places they won't be disturbed. A couple have taken up residence in my snap peas so they should be set till Spring.

Latest posts