Spinach!!!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Purple Strawberry said:
HiDelight said:
right now I am in the thinning phase of eating the baby spinach :)

and this week will plant another bed of it ..I can not even imagine ever have too much fresh spinach?

another thing from the garden I adore is deep fried spinach leaves! or if you want toss them on a a baking sheet with a little olive oil and bake them until crispy

sprinkled with a little sea salt and healthy chips :)
you can do the same with kale if you like
I know nothing about spinach. I thought that this was a cold veggie? Isn't it getting to hot during the day to plant?

I am just trying to learn :tools
yes you are correct it is a cool weather plant and here in WA we can still plant another round before it gets too hot ..where you are I would hold off until late summer to plant more spinach or plant the New Zealand variety that is good for warmer climates and does not bolt

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Congrats on the spinach Kate! We have started tossing it into everything at dinner. We have needed the rain to make up for the drought we had for the past 2 years.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think I'm going to have a spinach salad with radishes tomorrow! I also pulled a beet to see what it looks like, but I don't think they're quite ready yet. I might add it to my salad anyway, tho! :rainbow-sun

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
I think I'm going to have a spinach salad with radishes tomorrow! I also pulled a beet to see what it looks like, but I don't think they're quite ready yet. I might add it to my salad anyway, tho! :rainbow-sun
What do beats taste like?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah, sweet innocence, PS . . . Well yes, but there's all that purple.

Beets beat all ;)!

I'm not sure if there is a sweeter vegetable than beets. But, you must be able to burn them easily (Mom burned everything) because I had to get off on my own before I learned to like them.

Then, I discovered baby beets :). They just need a brief moment of cooking. I've learned to overlook the purple stains on everything else on the plate. (Try to not allow any juice to run down your chin :p.) A splash of vinegar adds a little extra pizazz.

Last year, I discovered Yellowstone beets. "Now, I've got it!" I think. Beets that DW will enjoy because they aren't purple . . . She would hardly try a taste - seems that they have something of a "yellow" stain, oh my.

Steve

Latest posts