Spring can't be that far away...

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My first snowdrops of the year, my garden is starting to wake up. Not much to see yet but once things start popping another gardening season begins for me regardless of what month it is. Now it's a mad rush to get all that cleanup done that I didn't get done in the fall, We had such a wet fall even the things I usually get done didn't :(.
I found this little clump in a sheltered spot the other day, I have four more varieties of snowdrops but they are nowhere near blooming yet. Seeing these has got me poking around looking for other signs that things are starting to wake up. The ground is still soppy wet so can't get into the beds to tidy things up but at least I can rake the gravel paths.
DSCN6390.JPG
We still have to get through February, it can be mild and sunny or it can be freezing cold with lots of snow. I sure hope it's not the later. I have quite a few Hellebore showing buds but none open yet, time to get out and cut all the old leaves off. What is the first thing to bloom in your gardens?
Annette

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Happy to see that trace of spring in your neck of the woods. Hopefully, within a couple of months I'll see the same signs. You get the benefit of an ocean breeze moderating your temps while I get Yankee Clippers straight out of the North Pole.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was cleaning out an asparagus bed a couple of days ago and saw a sprout just breaking the surface. It was down to 12 Fahrenheit this morning so that one has been fried. It's still way too early for asparagus here. I also noticed a knockout rose starting to just leaf out, not just buds but a few leaves. I've also seen a few dandelions blooming. They don't do much but a few have opened. We've had a warm spell which confused a few plants.

Probably the first thing I notice blooming that I planted are crocus. I planted a few when we moved here in 2007. They haven't done well at all, have not multiplied, but one or two normally poke up and bloom.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Smart Red even with all my whining we do have a decent climate overall, Victoria 80 miles south of us is even nicer. They can grow things I can't. Hope you get an early spring.
@Ridgerunner if I'd seen a spear of asparagus popping through I would have put a hot cap over it, run in the house to make sure we had butter in the fridge, then sat there with knife and fork in hand in anticipation, well maybe not, it would probably mean a run to the grocery store to see if they had asparagus in, one of my favorite veggies.
@Nyboy we never know here, the first snowdrops can be as early as December or as late as March depending on what kind of winter we get. This year has been very wet and fairly mild so far, nothing picture worthy tho, maybe a flake or two of snow but they didn't stick.
Last year not so much as one flake of snow, I should have taken a picture or two but I didn't, winter other then the first two weeks in November it was almost balmy, little or no rain and boy did we suffer in the summer, temps in the 90's not used to that here, spent a lot of time in the house, if you ask my DH he probably had to put up with a fair bit of whining, heat and I don't do well.
The winter before that 2014 we got snow and snow and more snow. I took this picture from the kitchen window in February.
DSCN5023.JPG

Palm trees will grow here, granted only certain varieties and many grow bananas and citrus but they need winter protection. The powers that be say we are heading for a Mediterranean type climate but doubt it will happen in my lifetime.

Annette

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had some hyacinths popping up a couple weeks ago, but I doubt they're still there now (gotta go look.) I will be looking for the crocuses that I planted in the front yard last fall to make the first official appearance.

Every year about this time, I get mocked for claiming spring is almost here! I don't care if it is still 2 or 3 months away...we are on the upswing now. I can literally feel it in my bones as the days grow steadily longer. I get a little twinge of SAD every fall, so to feel it lifting is monumental for me. :)

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@journey11 heck, it's January 2 form me, The hustle and bustle of Christmas and New Years is over for another year. I'm doing the happy dance :weeea brand new year in the garden is fast approaching, wind, sleet, snow bring it on I don't care, your days are numbered :old.

Annette

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
And I tell you what (and this is how I put it to my husband), if I don't start thinking about spring NOW, I will be very far behind by the time it does get here. So much planning to do!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always appreciate seeing the sun set a little later each day. It seems to go by great leaps once it gets off and running after Christmas.
I guess the first sign of spring here is the little wild flowers in the lawn. The tiny four petal blue ones.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
My avatar is the closest South-est, central-est Wisconsin is getting to spring right now -- forcing paperwhites in the kitchen window -- is not really spring, but it is certainly a start.

@Nyboy, how are your paperwhites doing?

Latest posts