Square Watermelons

chickenwhisperer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hey wow, thanks for the enthusiastic response!

Lemme just remind everybody, this is the first time Ive ever even grown a watermelon, and add to that the fact that Im doing it in 5g containers that are already mostly roots.... we might not even get to the end of this project :(

My buddy told me he would lend me his tripod for the summer, which will allow me to make a time-lapse I hope.
But until I actually acquire it, we all gotta deal with my unsteady hand and poor sense of where the heck I was at yesterday...

Here is day 2 and after 48full hrs, the melon has grown noticeably(at least in person) and has also start to flatten out at the bottom where it is now touching the plastic.
sqmelon2002.jpg

I have also decided to thin the melons a bit, I removed one.
So right now I have 4, and I think Ill just grow one or 2 on top.
My buddy made a good point, Im not trying to grow watermelons, Im trying to grow square watermelons... so just do what I can handle and reasonably expect to take care of, and the best point is that I only have 5 old fishtanks right now.

chickenwhisperer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ok, this is the same one today on saturday, and is doing the best so far as far as getting square.
Its flat on the bottom, and is slouching into itself, becoming stockier by the day.
sqmelon2.jpg

The other ones are a mix, some are starting to grow more like this, but the biggest actual melon is just growing on end and not deforming at all....
But in all fairness, the pictured melon sat deepest in the box and touched the bottom first...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Its better then TV... and almost as fun as wine! :D

chickenwhisperer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Lets just say that Im not exactly sure this is going to work....

sqmelonbroken.jpg

The melon is kinda boxy, but not like in the youtube videos...
The plastic wasnt as strong as I thought, and Im afraid to put them in the glass tanks now...
Maybe Ill just try the cinderblock method...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yikes! I think you needed a bigger container! Looks like a great melon, no matter what shape it is!

Latest posts