Squash zucchini and peppers dying !! HELP

Milosevich Garden

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Looks like Powdery Mildew.
Powdery Mildew is caused by the fungi Erysiphe cichoracearum and Sphaerotheca fuliginea occurs when temperatures are between 50 and 90 °F, during dry weather with high relative humidity.

You can try mixing one tablespoon baking soda, one-half teaspoon of liquid, non-detergent soap (like Seven Generation) with a gallon of water, and spray plants very well.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Grubs aren’t forever. Just part of the life cycle of an insect. To see grub damage, look at the roots. They will be severely pruned or you will see black areas on roots.

Clyounger6

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Looks like Powdery Mildew.
Powdery Mildew is caused by the fungi Erysiphe cichoracearum and Sphaerotheca fuliginea occurs when temperatures are between 50 and 90 °F, during dry weather with high relative humidity.

You can try mixing one tablespoon baking soda, one-half teaspoon of liquid, non-detergent soap (like Seven Generation) with a gallon of water, and spray plants very well.

Clyounger6

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I did this and it’s almost completely gone it was great!!! Now just got figure out what’s killing the new fruit ;)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
heat, lack of pollination or uneven water supply causing the plant to abort the fruits. those are my guesses short of damage from insects or diseases. note that it is also possible the variety is not suited for the conditions (i'll give an example below).

without being there and seeing what you're doing and your conditions it's tough to always know exactly what is going on with some plants/gardens/people.

new gardeners don't always give the whole story because they don't know (which is a part of learning. :) ). it's all ok. :)

the more information anyone can give when asking questions or talking about a problem it can really help narrow down the possible causes.

ok, the example of conditions and varieties being suitable or not: we have some friends who garden. they have primarily sandy soil. more times than not they struggle to get a crop in for things like tomatoes because their soil is poorly suited and they won't add any clay or organic materials to help out. you can pump the chemical fertilizers and water into sandy soil and get results, but not really tomatoes that i'd want to eat. i haven't talked to them recently to know how they're doing this year with the heat and dry spell, but in some previous years they've just given up when conditions get too tough for them.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Ok I dug up a plant no grubs ! I’m really happy about that . A mix of water baking soda and a bit of dish soap took care of the powdery mildew . Tomorrow I’m going to add some compost around the stems that are now very exposed and mulch . I don’t know if it will help? ducks4you our soil is sandy not clay does the mulching still apply to my kind of soil ?
YES! Mulching helps ANY kind of soil. It gives the roots places to really expand. There are other plants to grow or Let grow that will break up your soil, but our tropical vegetables have a have time with it. By mulching you create an environment like when a property is abandoned and tree leaves fall and decompose and that helps most plants to sprout to grow well.

Clyounger6

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Ok just wanted to update everybody the powdery mildew is gone I removed all the dead leaves and fruit added mulch and watered . They are already looking better and 2 even have new leaves and blooms growing so keeping my fingers crossed . Thanks everybody for all the advice !!

Attachments

• 65FBC11E-0B35-47CD-82F7-96DCCE3D01AB.jpeg
    65FBC11E-0B35-47CD-82F7-96DCCE3D01AB.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 302
  • 61FA6C9B-E94A-4DD9-825B-84D5ED6066FE.jpeg
    61FA6C9B-E94A-4DD9-825B-84D5ED6066FE.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 293