Squirrels and Chain link Fencing

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year I had 1 pear and 3 plums covered in fruit. Trees where surround by deer netting, I believe 7 feet tall. Something stripped almost all the fruit from trees. I don't think it was deer, I think squirrel or raccoon. Some thing climbed over netting. I have a old chain link dog run that I am planning on surrounding trees with, I will put chicken wire across top. I know a raccoon will not be able to squeeze though fence but can a squirrel? I would have to spend a lot of money to cover fence's sides with chicken wire.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If motivated, chicken fencing will not slow them down. They are squirrels, they climb.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yes, a squirrel will most definitely be able to squeeze through chainlink.

Check out Plantskydd repellents. They make a granular one for small mammal pests. I don't have any knowledge of how well it works, but if it's as good as their deer repellent I would say it's a good bet it works.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
& they will climb the fence and make an opening. Chicken fencing is no problem for a squirrel.

If a rodent can get his head through the opening, they can get the rest through.

Best solution, fried squirrel, or baked, or in pie, or in broth, etc.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed I am covering top in chicken wire, Kind of big box around trees.

seed is correct chicken wire will be useless....
as @thistlebloom mentioned look into pest repellents first.. also when you groom a dog save the hair and spread in around..

also squirrels dont like the smell of hot pepper, garlic, peppermint and mothballs .. you can also try live traps.

game cameras have come down in price buy a couple and place them at the base of the trees then you will know for sure whats stripping your tress's you never know it might be one of those 3' city sewer rat's that live in ny..