Squirrels eating tulips?

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
setter4 said:
AAARRRGGHHH! You jinxed me! lol
I went over to do some pruning in the cemetery today and at the entrance all my little crocus and mini tulips are coming up so pretty...then when I wnt over to trim the ornamental grass back...YIKE! Bulbs were laying on top of the ground and greens were snipped off at ground level!
I guess I'll take some dog hair over and scatter around and test that theory. :rolleyes:
Sorry about that setter, are you sure it was a squirrel or other animal that caused the damage? They can really put a damper on you when you get so excited to finally see the flowers coming up. I just took some bamboo sticks to the ground around the bulbs close together to resemble a bamboo fence, i just couldn't take see the tulips all ruined anymore!! :(

Good Luck setter!
They were clipped off right at ground level. Just like you did it with a pair of scissord and 2 or 3 bulbs had been pulled out of the ground.
All I can picture is Chip and Dale from the old cartoons over there having a party in my tulips! :ep

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
No mowing yet this year and the ones that were clipped off were mixed in with ones that were fine.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I prefer the gravy method, but some people like the BBQ one.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LlamaBeans said:
Grow 4 Food said:
I prefer the gravy method, but some people like the BBQ one.
What are you talking about?
probably the critter thats eating out bulbs.. roasted squirrel?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LlamaBeans said:
Oh I thought they ment they perfered the bulbs with gravy
bulbs arent edible in the case of daffodils their poisionous. But maybe you could replace an onion for the bulbs...

Rusty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Depending on where you live, prairie dogs are great for this. When I lived in Colorado, the only place I could have flowers was right around the house. LOLOL I planted blooming pansies one day down by the gate and the next morning there wasn't even a PLANT left. They dug them up and carted them away! I used to take the dogs down to the front gate and encourage them to go there but even that did not stop the prairie dogs from stealing whatever I planted around our ranch sign.

Of course, you might try my friend Lou's trick. She had black squirrels coming into her barn and chewing her saddles. So she found the hole where they were getting in and posted a sign at their eye level. It said "Come in here again and I'll shoot your black a$$!" Amazingly, as long as the sign hung there, the squirrels stayed out of the barn!!! So you might try that one too. :lol:

Rusty

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just saw the BEST advice for any vermin type animals getting near your bulbs, or even your veggie garden!

Parkseed sent it to me in an email from their daily how to emails.

Some lady said get those cheap shiney balloon from like the $1 tree or walmart. You know those silver backed balloons... for birthdays and stuff. She said get a few... tie them up close to where you need the little rodents to stay away from and they make a lot of noise, they shine, and reflect stuff. Makes the animals nervous... almost like a scare crow. She said the balloons last at least 2 weeks or longer.

Awesome idea!!! Would help with little seedlings you need to grow big enough that the vermin don't mess with them on their own. Poor tiny seedlings.

Latest posts