Squirrels. Ugh

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I shed one tear yesterday as I ran over a ground squirrel on the main road. He hesitated and then BANG...right under my tire.

Found a dead tree squirrel in front of my house on the road...someone else hit it. The crows had it gone within the day.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I shed one tear yesterday as I ran over a ground squirrel on the main road. He hesitated and then BANG...right under my tire.

Found a dead tree squirrel in front of my house on the road...someone else hit it. The crows had it gone within the day.

I used to bike to work a lot, when work was closer, and one of my big fears was always hitting a squirrel and it flipping around into my front fork, causing me to go over my handlebars. Never happened to me, but I know bikers who have had it happen

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you go air rifle route, get a decent one with a suitably rated scope (to handle the recoil which is surprising for some of them). if you get too cheap a scope or gun you'll be wasting time and $. i shoot metal rounds instead of lead and have found a good ammo fit with my gun so i'm pretty accurate between 50-100ft.

if you expect to mostly be dealing with rabbits or larger creatures you'll probably want something more than a .177 gauge, but don't go .20 because there's not much decent ammo for those. better to go .22 if you are after rabbits/groundhogs.

air rifles can be pretty powerful...

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
O feel the pain, So many squirrels here. They make the dog go nuts. Always digging up and turning over pots as soon as I plant them. Grrr. Nothing there to eat, just seem to have fun destroying things. :(

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

vultures gotta eat too!!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, well over 30 seeds, some just starting to break soil, all gone :(. Butternut, bitternut and Shagbark. I had stratified them over the winter in my fridge (Mrs Sprig loved finding bags of dirt in the crisper) and planted them all in early April in my seedling bay and had recently brought them outside since we're packing for moving and I had to dismantle my growing room

They knocked over lots of pots and dug through and tossed dirt from what they didn't knock over. Our whole porch was a disaster. They even ripped a Kentucky Coffee Tree out of a pot and just threw it on the ground.

I was so mad. Mad doesn't even describe it, really. In one way I'm happy to be moving to the country because at least there I can shoot them with an air rifle.

So mad. Damn squirrels.
Barn cats are a great way to keep squirrels and chipmunks at bay.

Latest posts