Squirrels. Ugh

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have counted 11 feral cats at a single time next door eating stale bread that the neighbor constantly puts out to feed starlings,blackbirds, crows, etc. I am sure there are much more. They have taken up residence under mine and several neighbors homes. All of my neighbors now have rat and mice invading their homes. Just this week 2 of the neighbors hired a pest control company at $100 per month to get rid of the invasions. In addition to cats, rats, and mice, I have had serious mole issues in my yard for years. These same long haired feral cats deficate all over our yards, yet they don't seem to do anything to dine on the moles, rats and mice not to mention the pest birds. :he

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is super weird and completely aggravating. Sorry to hear about that

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
people are feeding them, it's easier than hunting, also many of them may not really have ever been taught to hunt and kill, it is a learned/taught thing.

i used to live with some people who had a cat that was a very well seasoned hunter, it would also go after full grown rabbits. it was a smart cat, it knew that the 9 birds kept in the house were not to be eaten, but i did see it almost go after some that were playing on the floor nearby (we were both napping in a sunny spot on the floor :) ). i saw it tense up as if to pounce and then it looked at me with a sort of sheepish look, like, "Oh, sorry, almost forgot myself there." ...

one time here i saw a cat chasing and capturing a nearly fully grown rabbit. that's not easy when the rabbit is almost as big as the kitty. usually i see them with chipmunks in their mouths and not rabbits.

unfortunately, i do have to hunt once in a while for creatures here, otherwise we get overrun.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cats hunt even if well fed its their nature. While becoming a great hunter might be learned, anyone who has raised a kitten will tell you as adult they hunt.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
The first 3 years I had my cat Timmy I lived at home and he was indoor/outdoor. Timmy was well fed never knew hunger. He was a great hunter 3x a week I would find his kills by front door.