Start of my rabbit herd

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I finally finished my rabbit cages and found a nice doe for a breeder. Hopefully by this time next year I'll be eating healthy meat from my own rabbits; plus letting the rabbits do the composting when I pull weeds. I don't know what I'm looking forward to more, the meat or that nice rabbit manure. this is my first doe, about 2 or 3 months old I'm guessing.

3428_004.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
With a face like that you are thinking about poop and eating it?! LMAO

Sorry, its just too cute to go "Awwwwwwww" over!!! :lol:

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hopefully she will make a good breeder for you.
How big of a herd are you going to have? It is suprizing how much fertilizer a few rabbits can produce. They can also generate a lot of great tasting meat also. She looks like a healthy rabbit congrats.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Technically this particular rabbit won't get eaten...not if she does her job well and at least not for some time. ;) Have you raised meat rabbits before, Hoodat? What breed is your bunny?

My husband keeps talking about getting started with meat rabbits. Of all the other projects I've taken on lately, his seems like a much simpler request. And I will enjoy the benefit of the manure as well. :lol: I don't know much about them, other than a couple of pet bunnies I had as a kid. But I'd like to surprise him this spring with some nice rabbits to start working with. Maybe even build a hutch for him... We've got all the stuff we need already lying around here to build it. Oooh...I could probably let them graze in my chicken pasture. A full grown bunny couldn't fit through 2x4 woven wire fencing could it?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Collector said:
Hopefully she will make a good breeder for you.
How big of a herd are you going to have? It is suprizing how much fertilizer a few rabbits can produce. They can also generate a lot of great tasting meat also. She looks like a healthy rabbit congrats.
I'll just be keeping them for myself and maybe a few to sell so I only need 2 or 3 does and a buck.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Technically this particular rabbit won't get eaten...not if she does her job well and at least not for some time. ;) Have you raised meat rabbits before, Hoodat? What breed is your bunny?

My husband keeps talking about getting started with meat rabbits. Of all the other projects I've taken on lately, his seems like a much simpler request. And I will enjoy the benefit of the manure as well. :lol: I don't know much about them, other than a couple of pet bunnies I had as a kid. But I'd like to surprise him this spring with some nice rabbits to start working with. Maybe even build a hutch for him... We've got all the stuff we need already lying around here to build it. Oooh...I could probably let them graze in my chicken pasture. A full grown bunny couldn't fit through 2x4 woven wire fencing could it?
Yes I've raised them before but a long time ago. Since I got her after she'd been returned to a pet shop I don't know anything about her for sure except she's healthy and very tame. I'm almost sure she's a New Zealand with something else crossed in.
A full grown rabbit couldn't fit all the way through a mesh that size but a half grown or smaller could. It's best to build your cages out of 1X2 mesh for full grown rabbits. If you can put a 6 inch or so lower edge of 1/2 X1 at the bottom you won't have to worry about babies getting through either. Mesh that size is usually sold as cage wire rather than fencing wire.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm thinking she could be what they call a Rex. our local feed store sells them often along with lop ears.

i'd love to interest my dh into raising meat rabbits! i'd love to try the meat sometime before i did! one of the people i've done chicken swaps with raises the Silver Fox breed and she uses them for both pets and meat. but only sells the meat to be used for dog food if she sells it at all.

i tried duck a few years ago and i know that is the only way my dh wants to have ducks around our property is if they are going to be raised for their meat. :/

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love rabbit but hate to butcher them. My dad could just snap their head, I never could. Dad would laugh and say you are worrying about hurting them. Need to do it quick, fast, and no pain. Never developed the ability.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
I love rabbit but hate to butcher them. My dad could just snap their head, I never could. Dad would laugh and say you are worrying about hurting them. Need to do it quick, fast, and no pain. Never developed the ability.
Timidity in butchering is no mercy to the rabbit. I prefer "bonking". Your dad was correct. Do it fast and do it right. If it's done properly the rabbit never knows what happened till it wakes up in bunny heaven.

Latest posts