Start of my rabbit herd

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just thinking about you yesterday, hoodat. Seemed a few days since we had heard from you. Now, I see what you were up to!
Seriously, you couldn't find an uglier rabbit??? I think raising meat rabbits is the greatest idea in the world- you could do it anywhere, but I don't think I could ever be hungry enough to kill one...
I look forward to going on this journey with you, hoodat. No doubt you will teach us everything we need to know! Good luck with your endeavor!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Some of the experts on Backyard Herds (great site) tell me she might have some Netherlands dwarf in her which would limit her size but that isn't all bad. Actually I had originally thought of Floridas since I don't need big rabbits and they need less room but I can't seem to find any around here.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new doe Hoodie. She's a cutie! I too am planning a meat rabbit setup, hopefully by fall it will be ready. I was planning on Californians and maybe an NZ. Keep us updated on your herd!

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice looking bunny Hoodat! We're considering whether to turn one of our hens into a meat bird as it's very noisy in the morning and I'd rather not have animal control showing up on my doorstep once people start opening their windows at night in a few months. This bird gets up way too early. Anyway, I was watching some videos on Youtube last night on the messy prep-tasks.. Perhaps bunnies are easier -- when the time comes..

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Rabbits are a lot easier to clean after butchering. All those chicken feathers are a pain. You can always skin chickens but I like to cook mine with the skin on to keep the juices in the meat. As far as rabbits go I can have the whole job done in 15 minutes.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
As far as rabbits go I can have the whole job done in 15 minutes.
That's a really good point and yet another motivation for getting started with meat rabbits. Butchering chickens is an all day affair around here. :p

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think I found the right buck today. He's a rex so he'll be a medium size rabbit and well proportioned for meat, although he's for breeding not the stew pot. I didn't want a large breed since there is only me to feed. My doe is about two months from breeding size and he's just reaching maturity so I should be off and running with my rabbit meat program in a few months. I'll have to keep my eye out for one more rex doe. Both my buck and doe are real sweet tempered so I can make pets out of my breeders. I't's supposed to rain today but I'll try to get a pic of the buck tomorrow.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
sounds like you have got a good start for your herd. currently I have 2 New Zealand bucks and 0 does, our only cali doe had problems with her last litter and all the kitts were stillborn. A week or two later I had to cul her, so now I am fresh out of breeding stock. I was going to rebuild the herd right away, but decided to rework the rabbit setup before we get more does. Also our DD has baby bunnies all over the place at this time, she has sold them to three different feed stores for Easter bunnies. I will be interested to see how your rabbits fur will turn out, I think you will get some with rex fur and some with standard. I hope you post a picture of him.

waryyear950

Sprout
Reaction score
We have been raising meat rabbits for 4 years now. We get between 80 and 90 rabbits a year. Some go for meat some we sell. Much healthier meat.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here are pics of my new buck. He was supposed to be a rex but the more I look at him the more I think he's an off color dutch rabbit. look at that top view. He's built like a piggy. Great meat conformation. He should throw some good kits.

6858_006.jpg

6858_007.jpg

Latest posts