start to a new interest.....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
while on my epic road trip stopped by all our good friends miss @Carol Dee house and spent a wonderful afternoon with her and hubby, got a 4 hour course on beekeeping, every evening along the way watched you tube videos on the subject.. ordered a couple books they finally showed up today..

so i'm on my way on learning a new hobby.
IMG_0644[1].JPG

xoxoxoxo to you and hubby...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beekeeping is a wonderfully enriching hobby, I hope you enjoy it! One thing I wish I had known when I got started was just how docile bees can be....and how peaceful sitting out in the yard watching them is.

in the gardens i'm around all sorts of bees quite often. they are fun to watch, but also they are working along with me at times. i was picking cosmo seeds off the plants the other day and there are still plenty of blooms on them too so we were all working together. i try to check out how many different species there are around while i am there since i like to encourage the native bees.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've never done the bee thing, but I stayed down in the Ozarks with my great aunt and uncle. They had bees, chickens, some cows out back..and raised wonderful strawberries every summer.
They were my first introduction to bees. I stayed there total for 2.5 years. I would just walk through the bees, flying in and out of their hives. I never bothered them, and they never bothered me. Their hive was maybe 20 ft out the back door to the kitchen.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never done the bee thing, but I stayed down in the Ozarks with my great aunt and uncle. They had bees, chickens, some cows out back..and raised wonderful strawberries every summer.
They were my first introduction to bees. I stayed there total for 2.5 years. I would just walk through the bees, flying in and out of their hives. I never bothered them, and they never bothered me. Their hive was maybe 20 ft out the back door to the kitchen.
We have a hive on the back porch maybe 10 ft. from the back door! It is amazing how many people will not come to the back because of it. ;)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
They do not. But is is amazing how many people are terrified of bees even though they are not allergic.

i wonder if major knows if he is allergic or not? i don't seem to be, but i did have a reaction to some wasp stings when i was a kid once, but that was in combination with a very hot day.

i'm glad i don't get stung here very often. taking it easy when walking through the flowers and not thrashing around much helps. i also make sure the shirt sleeves are buttoned up so they won't get trapped in there... :) it still always amazes me, even after all these years, how close i can be to bees and they don't care, they just get on with their business. a few inches away. and when i rinse out the birdbaths and wash them away too they just hover around for a bit and then they'll land again. they don't come after me the guy who's spraying the hose and moving them around...

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My bees were about twenty feet away from the back door, and we never had a problem with them. There were a few times they would mob the porch light late in the evenings, but it was amazing how much they deterred the solicitors, lol.

I did turn out to be allergic, unfortunately. Have been stung a few times a year all my life, but it wasn't until I started getting stung on a regular basis that the allergy popped up. Had one particular sting that made me rework my entire approach to working my bees, after a very expensive ride in an ambulance to overnight in the ER on IV steroids.

95% of my stings happened because my bee's main flight path was right alongside the cars and some of my ladies would get caught in my clothes or hair. The sad part was that I carefully planned the hive location and put a barrier up that would take them up above our heads....but my bees would exit the hive and promptly turn left, lol. I have never been stung just out working in the yard alongside them. If I got stung working the hive it was typically because I am still a newbie and still learning.

If i can figure out how to keep from getting stung on my hands through my gloves, I am going to try again next year with a single hive...after I move that hive to the far corner of the property.

Latest posts