Start your tomatoes from seed NOW if you're in zones 5-6

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know about here . . . All of our above-normal temperatures thru the winter, vanished :rolleyes:. We've had below-normal for weeks now. And, one forecast outfit says 3 nights in the low 20's next week!!?! NOAA just says 2 shades below normal.

I've been trying to slow the tomatoes down, with poor results. If I keep messing around (and paying the least bit of attention to what DW says :/), they are going to have some real problems.

Okay . . . find your frost date . . . count out 14 days . . . then work back 6 or 8 weeks. Of course, things can be changed a bit. I mean, you can go back farther if you are willing to pot up to larger containers. AND have enuf sunlight! Also, you'd better plan on pinching off the flowers when they are transplanted out.

Walls of Water or some other protection - I don't know. They've already been slapped around enuf by Yours Truly. If they don't get all the TLC in the world from here on out, someone may call the Tomato Protective Service on me . . . :/

Steve

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wonder if there's such a thing as a 'normal' season. Seems like it's always warmer or cooler than normal. It's been warmer than normal here, but not scorching. I'm going to plant some of my tomatoes this weekend. I always plant extras because I'm SURE some will not germinate or thrive, and I'm ALWAYS proven wrong!

msbear

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
started mine a couple weeks ago. I got some heirloom WV tomatoes growing like crazy and everything else got burned under the plastic during the first hot day :rolleyes: Im giving it another swing today but will be buying most of my tomato plants this year. I think Im going to give up starting them from seed til I have hubby make me a greenhouse... it's just too much of a pain!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I planted my seeds, both beefsteak and cherry one week ago. I started them in toilet paper rolls, all shoved into plastic bowls (and large yogurt containers) to hold the water, and there are 5 small containers, and put them ALL on top of the fridge. Yesterday there were 3 that had popped up one inch. TODAY, there are literally 30 that are up!! :weee :celebrate

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I started mine on Mar 10th. I potted them once and am starting to repot the bigger ones. This way they get a nice start before they go into the garden. I have only gotten tomatoes once by the 4th of July but getting them a little bigger helps.

mothergoose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a flat of tomatoes that were started the first weekend in March another flat started about 2 weeks after that and 2 more flats, one started a week ago and one today.

I kept finding more varieties I wanted to try...15 different varieties so far!

Obsessed,
Christie :D

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I don't know about here . . . All of our above-normal temperatures thru the winter, vanished :rolleyes:. We've had below-normal for weeks now. And, one forecast outfit says 3 nights in the low 20's next week!!?! NOAA just says 2 shades below normal.

I've been trying to slow the tomatoes down, with poor results. If I keep messing around (and paying the least bit of attention to what DW says :/), they are going to have some real problems.

Okay . . . find your frost date . . . count out 14 days . . . then work back 6 or 8 weeks. Of course, things can be changed a bit. I mean, you can go back farther if you are willing to pot up to larger containers. AND have enuf sunlight! Also, you'd better plan on pinching off the flowers when they are transplanted out.

Walls of Water or some other protection - I don't know. They've already been slapped around enuf by Yours Truly. If they don't get all the TLC in the world from here on out, someone may call the Tomato Protective Service on me . . . :/

Steve
Tomato Protective Services!!!HA!! Priceless!!!!:lol: