starting an avacado seed

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OK so when I was a kid I was able to start these no problem.. now that i am an adult.. (my DH sometimes doesnt think so but that is another post) I cant start one of these to save my life..

IS there a trick that I dont remember???

I have tried 3 and so far with all 3 nothing..

I put 3 toothpicks in the sides and place in a cup full of water in the windowsill..

one split like it was going to grow then quit :idunno

the next two havent done anything

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Depending on how old you are, perhaps the genetics of commercially grown avocado's has changed since you were a kid....? I know when I was a kid the way you're describing it sounds like how we did it too.....

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Same problem here, and Im not even out of my teens yet! :lol:

Probably 5-6 years ago, I did the toothpick thing, stuck it in a vase of water and it grew like crazy. I put it in a pot and the tree got about 7 ft tall, then I transplanted it and it died. I've tried at least a dozen since then and nothing at all. I'd like to hear any tricks going around as well!

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ok so I just tried 2 more and nothing.. I took a knife and scored the bottom of these 2 and will see if that does anything but this is wierd.. :hu

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have two avocados growing right now, in the windowsill. I take the pit out, rinse the green "meat" off, then let it dry a day or two. Next, I peel the dried brown skin off with my fingernail. Then the 3 toothpicks go it, and it is suspended in a yogurt cup.
They sometimes get slimy, so I change the water and gently rinse the pit and root about once a week. It can take months for them to start rooting, so patience is key!

Here's the setup-
6099_avocado_in_cup.jpg

And the pit with a root-it's been in water for about 2 months.
6099_avocado_with_root.jpg

Good luck! What I want to know is how to grow them and actually get avocados!

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My mom always started them under the sink or in a dark place. Not sure why but they always grew.

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Great topic, I just tossed a failed avocado seed attempt and was considering posting the same question! I will try the "peeling" method the next time I buy an avocado.

;)

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've tried many times to grow an avacado from seed. I've had it crack, but never root. I'll be sure to try out different techniques. :happy_flower

Latest posts