STARTING SEEDS!?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got a quick little stand of plants by starting them indoors.

Corn sprouts must be a good lure for predators. That's frustrating. Germination for the 1st planting can be spotty because of cold soil. (I stay with SE corn just because of how slow it often is for things to warm up around here :/.)

The corn grew quickly in the greenhouse and was out soon. They seemed to transplant well and my little corn starts took right off. Space is at a premium in the greenhouse and I need to make compromises. Still, I wanted to try it. Twenty years ago, I don't think I'd even heard of transplanting corn from indoors! Then again, my greenhouse 20 years ago was less than 1/4th the size it is now.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder how long it will be till we start seeing corn and bean plants in 6-packs at walmart for some uninformed garden newbie to buy. I was amazed in recent years to see cuke and melon starts in 6-packs and singles! I think those were Bonnie plants. Pretty good profit on a single cucumber plant for 99 cents!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, and about 4 weeks growing time . . .

But, I do that too, So Lucky!

It doesn't matter much with a cucumber but I can gain a couple weeks. The very cool spring that we often have here makes melon growing a big challenge for me. If I can pick up, say, half the time I'm babying them - that may been the difference between success & failure. I mean, if 4 weeks equals a 2 week jump on things, then - it's okay for me.

You know how things slow down a couple weeks before the 1st frost? Too often I've looked at melons and thought, "there's no chance . . ."

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, some of the coolest dry bean varieties are 6 or even 7 months to mature dry beans. Those are very sensibly started early.

For those pole beans started one month early 4" pots with a small bamboo stick. For those started 2 months early, 6" pots with a 2 foot bamboo stake, and probably pinched once.

A note should be on the pot to transplant without disturbing the roots, hardly at all. a drawing of how on it...or on the bench.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I wonder how long it will be till we start seeing corn and bean plants in 6-packs at walmart for some uninformed garden newbie to buy. I was amazed in recent years to see cuke and melon starts in 6-packs and singles! I think those were Bonnie plants. Pretty good profit on a single cucumber plant for 99 cents!
we already have that happening over here with the corn. and last year i saw some beans too at our largest greenhouse but they had them in the small cell packs. melons and some cukes take too long so that is why they have them started too. plus some people want a jump start on their gardening or just don't have the space for all the started plants around their house.

Latest posts