Starts for Transplants

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have not started any garden vegetables yet. I think we will get peppers and tomatoes going this weekend. But DW has taken an interest in starting annual and perennial flowers from seed and so far has 700 plants growing under lights in the basement and also in a sunny window. She has been asking when they can move out to our unheated greenhouse and I think it much to early yet. I don’t think I mentioned that DW opened the smallest farm stand on earth and last year it really took off like crazy. That is why she is starting so many flowers and strawberries and stuff. Hopefully we can start putting them out in the greenhouse in the next couple weeks
E6A3A38A-A296-42F7-9C5E-481AAD77208A.jpeg
picture of the smallest farm stand

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW has taken an interest in starting annual and perennial flowers from seed and so far has 700 plants growing under lights in the basement and also in a sunny window. She has been asking when they can move out to our unheated greenhouse and I think it much to early yet. I don’t think I mentioned that DW opened the smallest farm stand on earth ...
The farmstand sounds like fun, Collector. Nothing succeeds like success!

Temperatures? Let me provide some examples. It's 22°f this morning. It's 28° under my deck roof. Out on the bench in the greenhouse, it's 32°. Am I surprised? No. Probably, the onions, leeks and shallots would have appreciated me moving them off that bench and, at least, putting them on the floor. They're tough and even the pansies aren't out there yet.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you , here is a chart on seed germination

Screenshot_2020-02-14-12-02-50.png

These are consistent temperatures. Several afternoons, the greenhouse has been vented because there has been sunshine. That was true yesterday, although we had the strangest day with massive clouds and Steve waiting for the hail - which didn't happen right-here-on-this-one-spot ...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@digitS' ,
THX for the chart! :hugs
I have it copied to my Gardening 2021 file on my laptop now.
I'll try to take pictures this weekend and put it on my thread. I wonder how many photos THIS site will hold, so I "hold" off posting too many.
I know what you mean about venting. I can TELL that the fish tank on the porch is very warm, even without it's top, bc we have had daytime temperatures very warm for the past few days, almost 70, and lows in the 50's.
Tonight, it's supposed to be 37, so I will put the glass cover on top.
As I said, I have started old tomato seeds there, in containers and in labelled ziplock bags.
IF you can get them, ziplock makes a 2 gallon bag, and I have recycled them from previous food storage. Easy peasy to write on with a Sharpie.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Two gallon bag!!!

I can imagine that they would work for starting plants. Wait! Are you trying to deprive me of the cookie boxes and their contents from the bakery, @ducks4you ?

We did that, with DW's blessings, to a great extent in 2020. Very limited on the boxes this year. I'm constantly searching around for "appropriate" snacks and after dinner desserts. I mean, I can only be happy with cream cheese on crackers so often and a bowl of cold cereal falls way short!

Steve 🍪🍪🍪

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I can ONLY find these bags at an IGA about 25 minutes to the south. Nobody else seems to carry them, but I haven't looked too hard.
You may remember that I started lettuce once in a chips a hoy container. You save the plasticy peel back cover.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, kale, collards, onions, Marigolds under lights. I am thinking of picking up some Morning Glory seeds today when in town and start inside and grow in a pot on the patio. I saw a picture of it and then grow down. I spent I do not know how much time trying to get them to grow up something and planted in the ground. Grandpa Ott did come back the next year, but I did not have them in a really good place.
Morning Glory.jpg

Latest posts