Starts for Transplants

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sowed more seed for,
  • Tomatoes
  • Peppers, &
  • Eggplants
I'm having problems with the eggplant. This now is last year's seed rather than who-knows-when seed. Some companies do NOT put dates on their packets. It took 2 orders from one outfit before I realized that. Makes me wonder if they care what is in their inventory.

One thing, my own tomato seed that I have relied on for decades: It works - the simplest techniques, aided by an arid environment. It works. Toss that seed every so-many years (for me, 5 years), be suspicious of viability loss. I don't need to germinate seed from a Pompeii villa or Montezuma's buried stash. I'm not up to those challenges.

Somethings will cross. I have had my Grandmother's tomato for over 25 years. Only once was there a question of "what the heck? Did I mix up plants or did last year's plants do the mixing of genetics?" Keeping multiple years of seed for that one. Toss last year's seed, don't save seed this year, go back to older seed - it works :). Maybe just dumb luck but my fresh, saved tomato seed was every bit as viable in 2021 as any commercial seed.

Steve
hoping he didn't just jinx himself ;)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sowed more seed for,
  • Tomatoes
  • Peppers, &
  • Eggplants
I'm having problems with the eggplant. This now is last year's seed rather than who-knows-when seed. Some companies do NOT put dates on their packets. It took 2 orders from one outfit before I realized that. Makes me wonder if they care what is in their inventory.

One thing, my own tomato seed that I have relied on for decades: It works - the simplest techniques, aided by an arid environment. It works. Toss that seed every so-many years (for me, 5 years), be suspicious of viability loss. I don't need to germinate seed from a Pompeii villa or Montezuma's buried stash. I'm not up to those challenges.

Somethings will cross. I have had my Grandmother's tomato for over 25 years. Only once was there a question of "what the heck? Did I mix up plants or did last year's plants do the mixing of genetics?" Keeping multiple years of seed for that one. Toss last year's seed, don't save seed this year, go back to older seed - it works :). Maybe just dumb luck but my fresh, saved tomato seed was every bit as viable in 2021 as any commercial seed.

Steve
hoping he didn't just jinx himself ;)
The undated seed packs seem to be a new thing. I am not very happy about that. I save all seed and use the date to my advantage. It certainly opens the way for them to sell old seed without our knowledge. And I had gotten some bad seed from a couple big companies last season.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
PXL_20210313_171259470.jpg
Grandma Pearl's Porters are nearest to the camera. Yellow Jelly Bean Hybrid are the next over. Grandma's has the advantage of being 2020 seed but the Jelly Bean is store-bought 2019. I must have given a one-up advantage to the Jelly Bean - was trying for 8 of each in this little berry box but there are 9 of the JB's ;).

Simple, move the seed from the cutting board to the sunshine on a paper towel and leave it there for 3 weeks, store over winter on the towel in a sandwich bag. Repeat Repeat Repeat. Tight little blossoms for the Porter, they just don't seem to want to cross.

Apparently didn't jinx myself, yesterday. Another container with several saved seed varieties sprang to life overnight!

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I transplanted tomatoes and peppers today. I am worried I started these too early. I am going to start more tomorrow. None of my bell peppers really looked good, so I bought some seed to start tomorrow. All of these might do great, but I do not have my usual seed starter and just worried when I can put these in the greenhouse outside even for a few hours. I started some survival seeds from 1997. The tomatoes came up but not the peppers.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Gardening with Rabbits , blanket your baby transplants with straw, and make them a tent with plastic. I save old and dirty plastic shower curtains for stuff like this.
OR, If you have any bales, create a fort around them and cover with windows, so that the wind and temperature won't hurt them.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have most things started. Peppers, tomatoes and some strawberries. I also have tree seedlings for the farm.

Later will be more strawberries, cucumbers, zucchini & watermelon. Oh and corn.. I think that's all I'm doing, besides a few hundred trees and maybe a thousand or so sunflowers

20210317_090723.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts