State Fair

happy acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Okay, final count : green beans, pickled okra, bread and butter pickles, tomatoes, spiced "apple " rings, dill pickles, blackberry jelly, blueberry jam, apple jelly, strawberry jam, Poolroom slaw, sauerkraut, spaghetti sauce, pickled eggs, pickled onions, rabbit's foot keychain, set of three potholders, a. "Tobbogan" hat, a pair of slippers, a crocheted rug, a hair barret, and possibly a chocolate cake. Oh! And a loaf of bread and a coffee cake!

happy acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Decided on the baked goods! Going to do a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, and blueberry muffins. Decided against the chocolate cake, bread and coffee cake. I'll turn the baked stuff in Monday. The rest I turn in today! :D

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
:drool you got me drooling! wish our fair allowed for goodies like that!

ours got limited on how much you could enter in each category for single jars of jam-only 1 single entry so you aren't competing against yourself in each category. i had to ask the new lady running the 'green thumb' area if the same was going to apply to the veggies when i sent those with dh a few days later. good thing that area wasn't going to be done the same since i had 3 different spuds and 4 different types of tomatoes i put in. though the lady and the handbook didn't mention they changed the format and we would have to supply the basket they wanted things displayed in. they always used paper plates and we never had to supply the display stuff.

Happy Acres, how expensive is it to get into your fair to see your stuff? ours wants $5 to park and $14 to get in the door this year. the reason the price is so high is so you can go on the rides, which i don't go on and could care less about. they did make the hours between 9am and 1pm free Monday through Thursday, but i have to work those times and would really like to know how i did before i pick things up when all is said and done.

happy acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Parking is free, but cost of the fair is 15.00 I think. Not really sure. As for seeing how you did, you'd better have excellent vision! They rope it off so you can't get within arms reach. As for categories, there are several sub-catagories. IE: strawberry jam is separate from berry jam. Each item I entered was in a separate category. I wasn't able to enter my pickled onions though. I put in the bread and butter pickles instead.

happy acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Peanut brittle is done. It's yummy!
I'll do the carrot cake tonight, and the muffins in the morning.;)