Stevia

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@TReeves, I've typically used the extract in baking and not the leaves. Honestly, I haven't invested enough time to pulverize them into a powder enough for baking. Of course, all of this does mean that you have to adjust some measurements to compensate for the moisture that regular sugar would absorb. Overall though, it's a pretty easy switch. I'd recommend using a 1/3 of the sugar called for in recipes with 1-4 drops of the extract depending on what you're making. It really is potent stuff.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, we went to the nursery today (that was an awful idea :) ) and they had stevia plants for sale. $1.99 for a pack of 6. So, we brought them home planted them in a few small planters. They are nice and green and pretty but, now what?

I get the same 'bad idea' regularly. Last time around, we went in for 2 pond plants, that's it. DH ended up looking at other plants! =0 He hates plants and hates shopping! I think it's growing on him! :D

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@OaklandCityFarmer thanks for the information! Once the plants get bigger I'll have to try it out.

@secuono going to our local nursery is bad for our pocket book. Everyone we go we come home with something. We've completely maxed out our yard space. No more room. But, husband stopped on his way home for dirt and came back with cucumbers!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remember, cukes can be grown up a vertical space. That means you still have room for growing them since they won't care if you've maxed out your garden space.

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have 10 picklebushes planted. 10 straight 8s and the 12 burpless ones hubby brought home. I'm going to have some many cucumbers my eyes will probably cross. But, they will make some delicious pickles!

Latest posts