Stevia...

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Have you heard of the herb called Sweet Stevia, its leaves are 10 times sweeter than sugar. I'm interested in getting a plant, it would be interesting to sweeten drinks with it and no calories like granulated sugar. The only thing though is that its only hardy in zone 10, so will go in a pot and be brought indoors for winter.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have certainly heard of it (as I've heard of quite a few things "Steve" ;)).

I purchased about 6 plants for my diabetic mother. It grew easily and lushly . . . but, she wouldn't use it.

Even tho' she was a daily tea drinker, sweetening had to be honey. Besides, the stevia had something of a "green" taste to it. I think it would have been better if it had been dried before use.

Mom is gone now but I've "threatened" to get stevia for myself - seems appropriate, don't you think :rolleyes:. I, uh, drink quite a bit of herb tea, especially during the winter. However, keeping it alive thru the winter isn't something I look forward to. We already struggle with the rosemary and lemon verbena. Perhaps, it would be suitable to think of it as an annual.

Steve's digits

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi digitS' :frow

I've been looking into Stevia -- BUT it's so expensive to buy here !!!!! It seems to be the MUST HAVE plant this year :lol: So I will wait awhile till the price goes down a bit. ;)

My Lemon Verbena plant arrived with other plants yesterday -- Lovely ! BUT that's another post -- Sorry!! Nearly high-jacked AGAIN....!! Apologies...... :bow !!!!

:rose Hattie :rose

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I got mine at Lowe's. Not sure what I am going to do with it yet (other than plucking and eating).

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I buy dry leaf in bulk at the local hippy infested health food store. Some of the processes stuff has a very strange taste to it.

I can't grow it in my area without a lot of special care, so I just will keep buying the leaf.

It is $26/lb, but if you buy the leaves, you get quite a lot in a bag. I use it in tea and for dishes that need just a touch of sweetness...stir fry, etc...

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOL hey I resemble that "hippie infested" remark Wifezilla!!! :)

I grew stevia ..it grew very well here last year ..I had a HUGE bush when the summer ended ..I hung it dried it and used it mostly in iced tea

it is a nice plant!!!

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I ordered some seeds, have 10 or 12 seedlings in a big pot. We'll see how it does. I plan to keep it potted, as I doubt it would survive our winters. I think I did read that the leaves should be dried before use, to make it more concentrated?

I'm not diabetic, just curious. I also started some horehound, I have 6 seedlings...

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
freshfood: Hi! :frow

Where did you order your Stevia seeds from? Because maybe I could buy some & grow my own. It costs too much here in the UK & besides I like growing from seed.

Happy Gardening everyone! :happy_flower

:rose Hattie :rose

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Disregard my previous post...I found a plant at Walmart for $3 and bought it. Lets see how long I can keep it alive :D

It's going in to a pot I can take inside in winter.

Latest posts